why dll can't be registered
Author Message
 why dll can't be registered

I have a ATL project that generates a dll. The release build of the DLL can
be registered using regsvr32 (when deploying it elsewhere), while the debug
build can't. I have check the dependancy of these two builds, which are
exactly the same. so
why the Release build can be registered and the Debug can't?

also, it there a way to detect which process is accessing my DLL?  I can't
recompile the project because there is always an annoying process prevent
the compiler to delete it and rebuild it. (I am compiling it through the
network, so there can be many processes accessing it).

thanx a lot!

Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:21:54 GMT
 why dll can't be registered

Quote:
>I have a ATL project that generates a dll. The release build of the DLL can
>be registered using regsvr32 (when deploying it elsewhere), while the debug
>build can't. I have check the dependancy of these two builds, which are
>exactly the same. so
>why the Release build can be registered and the Debug can't?

Have you tried debugging it to find out why?

Quote:
>also, it there a way to detect which process is accessing my DLL?

Use www.sysinternals.com - Process Explorer.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:23:36 GMT
 why dll can't be registered
If the dependencies are the same, you might not be building right? Things
like the CRT have different DLLs (and the debug ones will not be on other
machines unless you put them there, unlike the release ones).

--
MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/

International VB? -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/
C++? MSLU -- http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/10/

Quote:
> I have a ATL project that generates a dll. The release build of the DLL
can
> be registered using regsvr32 (when deploying it elsewhere), while the
debug
> build can't. I have check the dependancy of these two builds, which are
> exactly the same. so
> why the Release build can be registered and the Debug can't?

> also, it there a way to detect which process is accessing my DLL?  I can't
> recompile the project because there is always an annoying process prevent
> the compiler to delete it and rebuild it. (I am compiling it through the
> network, so there can be many processes accessing it).

> thanx a lot!

Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:23:43 GMT
 why dll can't be registered
Sounds like a problem i'm having as well (see previous posting re: regsvr32{*filter*}). I haven't solved mine, but I think I know what
caused it - and the procedure that was recommended for determining that might help you.

Make regsvr32.exe the debug executable for your dll
Set break points in the DLL server registration routine
Run your DLL and watch what happens in the debug window to see if any of the modules you're referencing are reporting problems.

Quote:
>If the dependencies are the same, you might not be building right? Things
>like the CRT have different DLLs (and the debug ones will not be on other
>machines unless you put them there, unlike the release ones).

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:30:04 GMT

1. Can't register DAO350.DLL -- WHY???

2. Don't understand why I am getting the C2236 error

3. mfc dll doesn't register (I'm new at this)

4. mfc dll can't self-register (I'm new at this)

5. Why isn't one interface registered?

6. why Can\'t create COM Instance After registering COM Server Successfully

7. Can't register DLL directly into COM+ services

8. Can't register DLL

9. COM dll builds but doesn't register

10. Custom Build doesn't register ATL DLL

11. COM dll's path has problem in register

12. DLL registered well but doesn't work on Win95