what's that defaultbind, displaybind ?
Author Message
 what's that defaultbind, displaybind ?

I am going to make ActiveX control container.
And so, I have looked into tstcon sample source.

There is property flags, bindable, requestedit, defaultbind, displaybind....
It's confusing.
I found a way that bindable and requestedit are used,
but defaultbind and displaybind still confusing.

MSDN document was not useful for these two IDL keyword.
How can user see property ?
Properties are just data, and can be just processed.

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:15:33 GMT
 what's that defaultbind, displaybind ?
defaultbind and displaybind are hints to container's design-time UI, nothing
more. defaultbind marks the property that the container should display or
use as the default for data binding (e.g. in a container where you can drag
an arrow from data source to a control on a form to indicate binding. If the
control has multiple bindable properties, defaultbind property should be
chosen in such an operation).

displaybind marks a property that should be shown to the user as bindable in
a contaner's UI. You see, [bindable] attribute is sometimes used with no
intention to bind the property to the datasource. The usual case is when the
control has its own property pages or another way to change properties
independent of the container (say a composite control with an edit box on
it, with the property reflecting the current contents of the edit box). The
control wants to let container know when the property changes so the
container can refresh its own property browser. The usual way is to mark
property as bindable and fire IPropertyNotifySink::OnChanged.

Thus, [bindable] is not a good indication that the property is intended by
the component's author to be datasource-driven. [displaybind] is - the only
reason to specify it is to get the container to present the property to the
user as bindable.
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

Quote:
> I am going to make ActiveX control container.
> And so, I have looked into tstcon sample source.

> There is property flags, bindable, requestedit, defaultbind,
displaybind....
> It's confusing.
> I found a way that bindable and requestedit are used,
> but defaultbind and displaybind still confusing.

> MSDN document was not useful for these two IDL keyword.
> How can user see property ?
> Properties are just data, and can be just processed.

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:30:21 GMT
 what's that defaultbind, displaybind ?
Igor, have you thought about writing a book on ActiveX Controls? I'll be the
first to buy it...

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:
> defaultbind and displaybind are hints to container's design-time UI,
nothing
> more. defaultbind marks the property that the container should display or
> use as the default for data binding (e.g. in a container where you can
drag
> an arrow from data source to a control on a form to indicate binding. If
the
> control has multiple bindable properties, defaultbind property should be
> chosen in such an operation).

> displaybind marks a property that should be shown to the user as bindable
in
> a contaner's UI. You see, [bindable] attribute is sometimes used with no
> intention to bind the property to the datasource. The usual case is when
the
> control has its own property pages or another way to change properties
> independent of the container (say a composite control with an edit box on
> it, with the property reflecting the current contents of the edit box).
The
> control wants to let container know when the property changes so the
> container can refresh its own property browser. The usual way is to mark
> property as bindable and fire IPropertyNotifySink::OnChanged.

> Thus, [bindable] is not a good indication that the property is intended by
> the component's author to be datasource-driven. [displaybind] is - the
only
> reason to specify it is to get the container to present the property to
the
> user as bindable.
> --
> With best wishes,
>     Igor Tandetnik

> > I am going to make ActiveX control container.
> > And so, I have looked into tstcon sample source.

> > There is property flags, bindable, requestedit, defaultbind,
> displaybind....
> > It's confusing.
> > I found a way that bindable and requestedit are used,
> > but defaultbind and displaybind still confusing.

> > MSDN document was not useful for these two IDL keyword.
> > How can user see property ?
> > Properties are just data, and can be just processed.

Sun, 12 Oct 2003 02:43:27 GMT

1. '0', '1', '2', '3' ...???

2. MS-DOS NRO (an 'NROFF'- 'RNO'-like Source in C)

3. Clarification on method modifiers 'new', 'virtual', 'override'

4. System-dependent manifest constants (i.e., 'i386', 'mips', 'vax')

5. '+=' : conversion from 'int' to 'unsigned char', possible loss of data

6. {'a','b','\0'} not equivalent to "ab"??

7. A good translation of 'to marshal', 'marshal', 'marshalling' to German ?

8. Error 'Must declare variable '@xxxxxx'.

9. Looking for gcc/g++/egcs for TI 'c30, 'c40, 'c60

10. program doesn't see '\0'

11. Can't 'free'

12. TC's windows with 'curses'?