Exposing DirectDraw interfaces in a type library
Author Message
 Exposing DirectDraw interfaces in a type library

I'm trying to expose the directdraw surfaces inside by
graphics type library but i dont't know midl well enough
to figure tout to do this.

On a side note would a vb client be able to use my type
library if i do this if they used the DirectX tlb's.  Just
curios because I know directshow does this but i also know
many interfaces in dshow are not automatiom compatible.

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 04:39:44 GMT
 Exposing DirectDraw interfaces in a type library
You can't - it's forbidden to do so. If Microsoft wanted these
interfaces to be visible in type library browser clients, they'd
have provided a type library for them. Rule of thumb - never
mess with others' interfaces!

VB can only deal with Automation-compatible interfaces. Most
(if not all) DirectX interfaces are not... That's one of the reasons
they don't have a type library.

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:
> I'm trying to expose the directdraw surfaces inside by
> graphics type library but i dont't know midl well enough
> to figure tout to do this.

> On a side note would a vb client be able to use my type
> library if i do this if they used the DirectX tlb's.  Just
> curios because I know directshow does this but i also know
> many interfaces in dshow are not automatiom compatible.

Wed, 09 Jun 2004 07:07:46 GMT
 Exposing DirectDraw interfaces in a type library
Thanks for the reply.

Using it from VB was ony going to be an added benefit but
not nessecary.  I was just trying to eliminate QI'ing down
to IUnknown.  My question is how does Directshow do it(
see %DXSDK%\Include\DShowIDL\ddstream.idl ). I assume
these idl's don't compile.

Thanks for the help.

Wed, 09 Jun 2004 16:30:14 GMT
 Exposing DirectDraw interfaces in a type library
The IDL will compile alright. It uses forward interface declarations.
What does this have to do with type libraries? It does not define a
type library...

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov
Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:
> Thanks for the reply.

> Using it from VB was ony going to be an added benefit but
> not nessecary.  I was just trying to eliminate QI'ing down
> to IUnknown.  My question is how does Directshow do it(
> see %DXSDK%\Include\DShowIDL\ddstream.idl ). I assume
> these idl's don't compile.

> Thanks for the help.

Mon, 14 Jun 2004 03:18:04 GMT

1. Exposing interfaces in a type library that are infact defined in another type library.

2. Interface with Interface pointer from imported type library as argument

3. interface inheritance and exposing same interface

4. Injection of other interfaces into a type library.

5. implementing interfaces from a type library

6. Reusing type libraries for reimplementing Interfaces

7. Seeing an interface in a type library

8. Exposing COM interface in managed C++

9. Howto Expose a normal C++ class with methods via an Interface Class in ATL COM

10. import ###.idl and exposing interfaces

11. Need To Have ProgID For My Exposed Interface

12. Overloading Methods exposed through an Interface