Anyone have a None MFC Based IDispatchEx Implemenation?
Author Message
 Anyone have a None MFC Based IDispatchEx Implemenation?

I know this has been talked about before but i never found any reference to
an actual complete implementation. What i'm looking for, and i'm sure a lot
of others are too, is:

A Template based implementation of IDispatchEx (and of course IDispatch)
that does not use MFC.

I would think this is something that will be in ATL 4.0, but until then does
anyone actually have a good implementation? If so it would be great if you
could post the information here for everyone else to use. Thank you.

Please email me directly if you do actually have a good solid
implementation.
Kabe

Sun, 27 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone have a None MFC Based IDispatchEx Implemenation?
But this is contradiction in terms!!! The whole purpose of IDispatchEx
is to provide an interface for dynamically changing dispinterfaces.
Therefore, it cannot be expressed statically (e.g. via a template)!!!

Now, a good ATL-based implementation of IDispatch for a pure
dispinterface is of course welcome...

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:

> I know this has been talked about before but i never found any reference
> an actual complete implementation. What i'm looking for, and i'm sure a
lot
> of others are too, is:

> A Template based implementation of IDispatchEx (and of course IDispatch)
> that does not use MFC.

> I would think this is something that will be in ATL 4.0, but until then
does
> anyone actually have a good implementation? If so it would be great if you
> could post the information here for everyone else to use. Thank you.

> Please email me directly if you do actually have a good solid
> implementation.
> Kabe

Sun, 27 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone have a None MFC Based IDispatchEx Implemenation?
What?!?!

I'm not sure i understand your point. IDispatchEx is a static interface (as
all normal COM interfaces are) that can certainly be implemented as a
template. It can be done in the same way as IDispatchImpl was done by the
ATL team. Joe Graf showed this when he did his MFC Template implementation
"IDispatchExImpl" for MIND. All i'm looking for is the same thing as what
Joe did but just not using MFC so i can create ATL .dll's that don't need
MFC.

Kabe

Quote:
> But this is contradiction in terms!!! The whole purpose of IDispatchEx
> is to provide an interface for dynamically changing dispinterfaces.
> Therefore, it cannot be expressed statically (e.g. via a template)!!!

> Now, a good ATL-based implementation of IDispatch for a pure
> dispinterface is of course welcome...

> --
> =====================================
> Alexander Nickolov
> Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> =====================================

> > I know this has been talked about before but i never found any reference
> > an actual complete implementation. What i'm looking for, and i'm sure a
> lot
> > of others are too, is:

> > A Template based implementation of IDispatchEx (and of course IDispatch)
> > that does not use MFC.

> > I would think this is something that will be in ATL 4.0, but until then
> does
> > anyone actually have a good implementation? If so it would be great if
you
> > could post the information here for everyone else to use. Thank you.

> > Please email me directly if you do actually have a good solid
> > implementation.
> > Kabe

Sun, 27 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone have a None MFC Based IDispatchEx Implemenation?
Hi,
Joe Graf wrote an excellent article last fall in MIND that went over an ATL
based implementation of IDispatchEx.  You can find the article (and code) at
http://www.microsoft.com/mind/1099/inthisissue1099.htm.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Mark

Quote:
> I know this has been talked about before but i never found any reference
> an actual complete implementation. What i'm looking for, and i'm sure a
lot
> of others are too, is:

> A Template based implementation of IDispatchEx (and of course IDispatch)
> that does not use MFC.

> I would think this is something that will be in ATL 4.0, but until then
does
> anyone actually have a good implementation? If so it would be great if you
> could post the information here for everyone else to use. Thank you.

> Please email me directly if you do actually have a good solid
> implementation.
> Kabe

Sun, 27 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone have a None MFC Based IDispatchEx Implemenation?
Ya as i mentioned in my post.. Joe's is cool but it uses MFC. I'm looking
for a none MFC implemenation.

Kabe

Quote:
> Hi,
> Joe Graf wrote an excellent article last fall in MIND that went over an
ATL
> based implementation of IDispatchEx.  You can find the article (and code)
at
> http://www.microsoft.com/mind/1099/inthisissue1099.htm.

> Hope this helps.
> Regards,
> Mark

> > I know this has been talked about before but i never found any reference
> > an actual complete implementation. What i'm looking for, and i'm sure a
> lot
> > of others are too, is:

> > A Template based implementation of IDispatchEx (and of course IDispatch)
> > that does not use MFC.

> > I would think this is something that will be in ATL 4.0, but until then
> does
> > anyone actually have a good implementation? If so it would be great if
you
> > could post the information here for everyone else to use. Thank you.

> > Please email me directly if you do actually have a good solid
> > implementation.
> > Kabe

Sun, 27 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone have a None MFC Based IDispatchEx Implemenation?
Joe's example is ATL/template based. It just uses MFC internally and is
limited to a few things in the IDispatchExImpl.h file, namely  two  CMap<>
classes and CString for maintaining the maps of DISPIDs and functions, as
well an AFX macro for pointer validation. If you want no "MFCisms", you can
modify those areas of the code to use non-MFC classes  such as STL and/or
ATL (if you want to use ATL's own map classes), or your own classes.

Chris

Quote:
> Ya as i mentioned in my post.. Joe's is cool but it uses MFC. I'm looking
> for a none MFC implemenation.

> Kabe

> > Hi,
> > Joe Graf wrote an excellent article last fall in MIND that went over an
> ATL
> > based implementation of IDispatchEx.  You can find the article (and
code)
> at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/mind/1099/inthisissue1099.htm.

> > Hope this helps.
> > Regards,
> > Mark

> > > I know this has been talked about before but i never found any
reference
> > > an actual complete implementation. What i'm looking for, and i'm sure
> > lot
> > > of others are too, is:

> > > A Template based implementation of IDispatchEx (and of course
IDispatch)
> > > that does not use MFC.

> > > I would think this is something that will be in ATL 4.0, but until
then
> > does
> > > anyone actually have a good implementation? If so it would be great if
> you
> > > could post the information here for everyone else to use. Thank you.

> > > Please email me directly if you do actually have a good solid
> > > implementation.
> > > Kabe

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone have a None MFC Based IDispatchEx Implemenation?
Have you or anyone else done this? If so it would be great to post it for
others to use. I'm not the best at MFC so i'm not sure i would be great at
doing the conversion.

Kabe

Quote:
> Joe's example is ATL/template based. It just uses MFC internally and is
> limited to a few things in the IDispatchExImpl.h file, namely  two  CMap<>
> classes and CString for maintaining the maps of DISPIDs and functions, as
> well an AFX macro for pointer validation. If you want no "MFCisms", you
can
> modify those areas of the code to use non-MFC classes  such as STL and/or
> ATL (if you want to use ATL's own map classes), or your own classes.

> Chris

> > Ya as i mentioned in my post.. Joe's is cool but it uses MFC. I'm
looking
> > for a none MFC implemenation.

> > Kabe

> > > Hi,
> > > Joe Graf wrote an excellent article last fall in MIND that went over
an
> > ATL
> > > based implementation of IDispatchEx.  You can find the article (and
> code)
> > at
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/mind/1099/inthisissue1099.htm.

> > > Hope this helps.
> > > Regards,
> > > Mark

> reference
> > > lot

> IDispatch)

> then
> > > does
> > you

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone have a None MFC Based IDispatchEx Implemenation?
Hey All,

I know that in the article I used MFC. However, it is in a very small
section that is easily replaced or you can do what I did, which is strip out
the parts of MFC you like (collections, templates, and CString) and ditch
the rest. That way you can switch between MFC (for leak detection, etc) and
un-MFC during builds. I would post the ripped out templates but somehow I
think that MS would not like that. So maybe it is a good exercise for those
who want to know MFC well enough to never have to use it again to make their
own un-MFC templates or just replace those couple of instances. Simple
enough.

It's cool to see how much discussion this has generated.

Cheers,

Joe

Tue, 29 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone have a None MFC Based IDispatchEx Implemenation?
I have tried extracting the MFC template collection classes CList, CMap
and CArray in the past. It is almost impossible because of the dreaded
CMemoryException (I wanted a version without exceptions). I ended
up with a version without memory fault checks... BTW, if you are ok
with exceptions, why don't you simply replace them with their STL
counterparts?

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov
Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:
> Hey All,

> I know that in the article I used MFC. However, it is in a very small
> section that is easily replaced or you can do what I did, which is strip
out
> the parts of MFC you like (collections, templates, and CString) and ditch
> the rest. That way you can switch between MFC (for leak detection, etc)
and
> un-MFC during builds. I would post the ripped out templates but somehow I
> think that MS would not like that. So maybe it is a good exercise for
those
> who want to know MFC well enough to never have to use it again to make
their
> own un-MFC templates or just replace those couple of instances. Simple
> enough.

> It's cool to see how much discussion this has generated.

> Cheers,

> Joe

Tue, 29 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Is anyone else having this problem with VC6?

2. Anyone having SQL 7 problems w/VC++ ?

3. Anyone else having problems with Outlook Express and Microsoft groups

4. Anyone having problems with wnaspi32.dll???

5. Console based program to MFC based project

6. Debug a none MFC program with the Debug Window

7. CDialog in none MFC thread

9. VS.NET Connnection Point Implemenation

10. Easy Ping implemenation

11. Implemenation of COM component in Windows CE

12. Using IDispatchEx with attributes