Remote DCOM cannot write to file or start new processes
Author Message
 Remote DCOM cannot write to file or start new processes

Howdy!

I have written a simple DCOM that I have registered on 'my own' computer and a on remote computer. A client calls a function in the DCOM that:
        1. Writes some log to a textfile
        2. Starts a MessageBox with some text and a YES and NO button (on top of desktop)
                answer=MessageBox(NULL,(LPCTSTR)str1_ch,"A MessageBoxHeader",
                        MB_YESNO|MB_ICONINFORMATION|MB_SERVICE_NOTIFICATION|MB_SETFOREGROUND|MB_TOPMOST);
        3. Starts a new process (cmd.exe in system32 folder) with CREATE_NEW_CONSOLE
                t1=CreateProcess(filepath,NULL,NULL,NULL,
                                false,CREATE_NEW_CONSOLE,NULL,NULL,&si,&piDelete);
                filepath="c:\\winnt\\system32\\cmd.exe"

When I run the client and link it to my local DCOM it writes to file, shows the messagebox but fails to start new process(even thou createProcess returns true, ie. success).

When I run the client and link it to remote computer DCOM , the DCOM cannot write to file (but it can create it...file is just always empty), it CAN start new messagebox on the remote computer but it
fails to start new process in the same way as above.

I have tried the same piece of "createProcess" code in a 'regular' executable on myown machine and the cmd.exe start a separate DOS-window successfully.

Is this some priority stuff I have to consider on remote machine?

How can I give my DCOM complete authority to do whatever I like(like I have when I logon as administrator on both machines)?

Why does createProcess return success but no new process has been started?

Can I use 'dcomcnfg.exe' to give DCOM more authority? How?

Greatful for any additional insight and comments/answers concerning this!

--
sincerely

Mikael Grehn
M.Sc
Systems Engineer
Envilogg Datateknik AB
Tel: +46 (0)18 135918
Fax: +46 (0)18 125968

Sat, 15 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Remote DCOM cannot write to file or start new processes

Hi,

I don't know whether our problem has do do with your problem. (see Problems
with DCOM SERVER under interactive User). We also tried to start processes
on a remote computer using DCOM and our problem is, that the process
startes, but the UI is not visible!

rgds,
Gregor Schaffner

Sat, 15 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Remote DCOM cannot write to file or start new processes

Configure your server on the server machine using DCOMCNFG and set the
Identity to This User and type in a user account that has the proper
privileges to do what you want.

have fun
--
Binh Ly
http://www.techvanguards.com

Quote:
> Howdy!

> I have written a simple DCOM that I have registered on 'my own' computer

and a on remote computer. A client calls a function in the DCOM that:
Quote:
> 1. Writes some log to a textfile
> 2. Starts a MessageBox with some text and a YES and NO button (on top of
desktop)
> answer=MessageBox(NULL,(LPCTSTR)str1_ch,"A MessageBoxHeader",

MB_YESNO|MB_ICONINFORMATION|MB_SERVICE_NOTIFICATION|MB_SETFOREGROUND|MB_TOPM
OST);
Quote:
> 3. Starts a new process (cmd.exe in system32 folder) with
CREATE_NEW_CONSOLE
> t1=CreateProcess(filepath,NULL,NULL,NULL,
> false,CREATE_NEW_CONSOLE,NULL,NULL,&si,&piDelete);
> filepath="c:\\winnt\\system32\\cmd.exe"

> When I run the client and link it to my local DCOM it writes to file,

shows the messagebox but fails to start new process(even thou createProcess
returns true, ie. success).
Quote:

> When I run the client and link it to remote computer DCOM , the DCOM

cannot write to file (but it can create it...file is just always empty), it
CAN start new messagebox on the remote computer but it
Quote:
> fails to start new process in the same way as above.

> I have tried the same piece of "createProcess" code in a 'regular'

executable on myown machine and the cmd.exe start a separate DOS-window
successfully.
Quote:

> Is this some priority stuff I have to consider on remote machine?

> How can I give my DCOM complete authority to do whatever I like(like I

have when I logon as administrator on both machines)?
Quote:

> Why does createProcess return success but no new process has been started?

> Can I use 'dcomcnfg.exe' to give DCOM more authority? How?

> Greatful for any additional insight and comments/answers concerning this!

> --
> sincerely

> Mikael Grehn
> M.Sc
> Systems Engineer
> Envilogg Datateknik AB
> Tel: +46 (0)18 - 135918
> Fax: +46 (0)18 - 125968

Sat, 15 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Remote DCOM cannot write to file or start new processes

Quote:

> Configure your server on the server machine using DCOMCNFG and set the
> Identity to This User and type in a user account that has the proper
> privileges to do what you want.

> have fun

Thanks!

I have actually tested DCOMCNFG but not the way you mentioned, I'll do it right away.

Isn't there a way to configure the DCOM to start up as the launching account so if Administrator is loggin on the DCOM has that accounts authority?

I realize that this is dangerous but...it would help my remote installations of software alot.

--
sincerely

Mikael Grehn

Sun, 16 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Remote DCOM cannot write to file or start new processes

2. EventLog: Cannot write to remote machine

3. Starting a remote process

4. Start new processes

5. help? using (_spawn) to start a new process

6. Start new processes

7. Starting a new Process

8. starting new process

9. Reading a pattern of string from text file and writing it to a new file

10. how to minimize program started with Process.Start

11. sharing variables accros processes & process starting

12. Process.Start Process.End??