Connection Point and Asychronous COM call
Author Message
 Connection Point and Asychronous COM call

I have been trying to use Connection Points to build a distributed
architecture.  I ran into some performance problems like when a client call
a server COM object, and the server COM object is taking too long to do
something, the client will wait until the call is completed.

Is there a way to perform an asychronous COM call instead of synchronous?
Can an event sink for a connection point work for the same idea?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Gene Lu

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 02:09:18 GMT
 Connection Point and Asychronous COM call
There are asynchronous COM interfaces in Win2K.

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:
> I have been trying to use Connection Points to build a distributed
> architecture.  I ran into some performance problems like when a client
call
> a server COM object, and the server COM object is taking too long to do
> something, the client will wait until the call is completed.

> Is there a way to perform an asychronous COM call instead of synchronous?
> Can an event sink for a connection point work for the same idea?

> Thanks in advance.

> Sincerely,
> Gene Lu

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 02:38:49 GMT
 Connection Point and Asychronous COM call
In my experience, the Connection Points approach does not work well with
distributed architectures.  I would usually employ an approach in which the
clients call into the server to start something, the server would spawn a
worker thread to handle the call (so it could return from the "entry" call)
and use a callback interface to notify the client of the results from the
worker thread.  It is quite a bit more complicated but more flexible.

--
Michael Shutt

Please respond to newsgroup as I will not return direct emails.

Quote:
> I have been trying to use Connection Points to build a distributed
> architecture.  I ran into some performance problems like when a client
call
> a server COM object, and the server COM object is taking too long to do
> something, the client will wait until the call is completed.

> Is there a way to perform an asychronous COM call instead of synchronous?
> Can an event sink for a connection point work for the same idea?

> Thanks in advance.

> Sincerely,
> Gene Lu

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 04:20:15 GMT
 Connection Point and Asychronous COM call
That is a great idea, THX.

-----------
Gene Lu

Quote:
> In my experience, the Connection Points approach does not work well with
> distributed architectures.  I would usually employ an approach in which
the
> clients call into the server to start something, the server would spawn a
> worker thread to handle the call (so it could return from the "entry"
call)
> and use a callback interface to notify the client of the results from the
> worker thread.  It is quite a bit more complicated but more flexible.

> --
> Michael Shutt

> Please respond to newsgroup as I will not return direct emails.

> > I have been trying to use Connection Points to build a distributed
> > architecture.  I ran into some performance problems like when a client
> call
> > a server COM object, and the server COM object is taking too long to do
> > something, the client will wait until the call is completed.

> > Is there a way to perform an asychronous COM call instead of
synchronous?
> > Can an event sink for a connection point work for the same idea?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Sincerely,
> > Gene Lu

Wed, 29 Oct 2003 03:43:15 GMT
 Connection Point and Asychronous COM call
THX.

-----------
Gene Lu

Quote:
> There are asynchronous COM interfaces in Win2K.

> --
> =====================================
> Alexander Nickolov
> Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

> MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> =====================================

> > I have been trying to use Connection Points to build a distributed
> > architecture.  I ran into some performance problems like when a client
> call
> > a server COM object, and the server COM object is taking too long to do
> > something, the client will wait until the call is completed.

> > Is there a way to perform an asychronous COM call instead of
synchronous?
> > Can an event sink for a connection point work for the same idea?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Sincerely,
> > Gene Lu

Wed, 29 Oct 2003 03:42:34 GMT

1. Connection points between a VB COM-based and ATL COM-based (NT Service) MTA

2. COM ATL AND Connection Points HELP!

3. ATL Com wrapper for C DLL - problem with Connection Points

4. ATL COM object with Connection Point -- How

5. COM/DCOM difference for connection points and IE?

6. Connection Points (VB and ATL COM)

7. Mouse event on COM connection point.

8. about connection point of COM

9. ATL COM object with Connection Point -- How

10. Connection Points with Visual C++ 6.0 (ATL / COM)

11. ATL COM( connection point) with MFC question..

12. COM/ATL connection points