ATL COM DLL in VB IDE error...
Author Message
 ATL COM DLL in VB IDE error...

Hi:

I've got an ATL COM DLL in VC++, and I tested in VB6 Client counterpart.
The VB6 client yields no errors anyhow, but in VB6 IDE, if some ojbect
pointers were not explicitly cleaned up, the access violation errors occurs
in VB6.exe.  For instance, if the program running in VB6 IDE is exited by
system menu exit, the errors occur.   Although I tried to delete the object
pointers by windows messages, WM_CLOSE and WM_DESTROY, the VB container did
not redirect the message down to the COM DLL.  Can I solve this problem in
ATL or does it require some in-depth knowledge about VB6 IDE?

Thanks for any help!

James

Sat, 10 Apr 2004 05:30:43 GMT
 ATL COM DLL in VB IDE error...
This is a design issue in your ATL Component.

You need to solve the problem where it starts, not fight the consequences
where the errors occur.

HTH,
Evert

=======================================
My email address has been altered to
avoid unwanted email.

Replies to the newsgroup only, please.

Thanks,
Evert Timmer:
Transworld Software
VC++, VB6, SQL Server Database Solutions
http://www.transworld-software.com (under construction)
=======================================

Quote:
> Hi:

> I've got an ATL COM DLL in VC++, and I tested in VB6 Client counterpart.
> The VB6 client yields no errors anyhow, but in VB6 IDE, if some ojbect
> pointers were not explicitly cleaned up, the access violation errors
occurs
> in VB6.exe.  For instance, if the program running in VB6 IDE is exited by
> system menu exit, the errors occur.   Although I tried to delete the
object
> pointers by windows messages, WM_CLOSE and WM_DESTROY, the VB container
did
> not redirect the message down to the COM DLL.  Can I solve this problem in
> ATL or does it require some in-depth knowledge about VB6 IDE?

> Thanks for any help!

> James

Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:47:40 GMT
 ATL COM DLL in VB IDE error...
I know that.  The issue here is the redirection of any close down messages
from VB6 IDE to the DLL before the DLL window (GUI) or object itself being
released.

Quote:
> This is a design issue in your ATL Component.

> You need to solve the problem where it starts, not fight the consequences
> where the errors occur.

> HTH,
> Evert

> =======================================
> My email address has been altered to
> avoid unwanted email.

> Replies to the newsgroup only, please.

> Thanks,
> Evert Timmer:
> Transworld Software
> VC++, VB6, SQL Server Database Solutions
> http://www.transworld-software.com (under construction)
> =======================================

> > Hi:

> > I've got an ATL COM DLL in VC++, and I tested in VB6 Client counterpart.
> > The VB6 client yields no errors anyhow, but in VB6 IDE, if some ojbect
> > pointers were not explicitly cleaned up, the access violation errors
> occurs
> > in VB6.exe.  For instance, if the program running in VB6 IDE is exited
by
> > system menu exit, the errors occur.   Although I tried to delete the
> object
> > pointers by windows messages, WM_CLOSE and WM_DESTROY, the VB container
> did
> > not redirect the message down to the COM DLL.  Can I solve this problem
in
> > ATL or does it require some in-depth knowledge about VB6 IDE?

> > Thanks for any help!

> > James

Sun, 11 Apr 2004 01:45:14 GMT

1. Atl Dll events stop in VB IDE after error triggered

2. Cant use VC ATL COM DLL method at VB project

3. VC ATL DLL crashin with VB COM client

4. what is the diffrence between Activex DLL in VB and ATL COM in VC

5. VB DLL callable from COM ATL

6. call a VB COM dll thru a C++ COM dll from a C program

7. call a VB COM dll thru a C++ COM dll from a C program

8. ATL COM - Passing ATL COM classes through another ATL COM class in the same app

9. ATL COM object can't get arrays from VB in VB/VC6

10. ATL COM object can't get arrays from VB in VB/VC6

11. VB COM MIGRATION TO ATL VC COM

12. Connection points between a VB COM-based and ATL COM-based (NT Service) MTA