Creating a filter for index server...
Author Message
 Creating a filter for index server...

Hellow, this is a S.O.S. message for developers:

I am trying to use the Index Server product to apply full text search
technology on a set of files encoded with a specific algorithm developed by
myself. Therefore, I want to develop a special filter to decode those files
for de MS Index Server. I have developed a DLL starting with the SmpFilt
example that comes with the Microsoft Developer SDK and I have followed the
instalation procedure that comes in the MSDN documentation. First of all, I
have developed the filter in C++ with MS Visual Studio 6.0 on a Windows NT
4.0 with Service Pack 6.0 server and I have not found a way to debug and
test my DLL. Also, I have tried to use testing utilities such as filtreg.exe
or filtdump.exe  but I always get a message "filtreg.exe is not a valid NT
application", so I am not able to know if my filter is properly installed
and working, so in summary, I dont know nothing about my filter. I am
really frustrated!!!!. Any help will be really apreciated. Thank you very
much in advance.

Sun, 05 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating a filter for index server...

Luis!

I know *nothing* about the Index Server, but as the question is of general
interest, and you don't get too many answer, I jump into the fray.

Debugging non-visual components, or even - as in your case - try to validate
that they are running is not an easy task. But certainly there must be ways
to add output, for testing purposes, anyway? Dumping out a log to disk, for
example.
If you can build a rig to test the functions themselves, with stubs for
API-calls etc, and can thus validate your own code, the rest would mostly be
a task of seeing that the code fires at the correct moment, or at all. A
file dump, or if that is inappropriate, a debug window would certainly be
enough for this?
To create a debug window, broadcast a system-message from the filter (mind
you, I don't know if this is possible). Have an application listening for
this message, returning a HWND to an output window. If you get an answer
with this HWND to the filter, start to log messages to the HWND.

Johan Rosengren
Responsable Informatique
PACTA S.A.

Quote:
> Hellow, this is a S.O.S. message for developers:

> I am trying to use the Index Server product to apply full text search
> technology on a set of files encoded with a specific algorithm developed
by
> myself. Therefore, I want to develop a special filter to decode those
files
> for de MS Index Server. I have developed a DLL starting with the SmpFilt
> example that comes with the Microsoft Developer SDK and I have followed
the
> instalation procedure that comes in the MSDN documentation. First of all,
> have developed the filter in C++ with MS Visual Studio 6.0 on a Windows NT
> 4.0 with Service Pack 6.0 server and I have not found a way to debug and
> test my DLL. Also, I have tried to use testing utilities such as
filtreg.exe
> or filtdump.exe  but I always get a message "filtreg.exe is not a valid NT
> application", so I am not able to know if my filter is properly installed
> and working, so in summary, I dont know nothing about my filter. I am
> really frustrated!!!!. Any help will be really apreciated. Thank you very
> much in advance.

Sat, 11 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Creating a filter for index server...

2. Creating a filter for index server...

3. Indexing Document Filter

4. Change file index filter of the standard file open/save dialog

5. Isapi Filter stops the IIS Server

6. Crypography sub-system in NT 4.0 Server and ISAPI Filters

7. can't call local server within message filter

8. Connect to Index Server?

9. microsoft index server example?

10. Index server IFilter needed for .pdf

11. Microsoft Index Server

12. Wininet and Index Server