Regards.
Sebastian Piccolotto
Crdoba, Argentina

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 06:01:51 GMT
 Windows Register
Hi..
            These are the API functions used to access the keys,names and
values from the Registry.

            Take a look at the CRegKey class in your vc++ help or the
registry classes at www.codeguru.com

Cheers
Check Abdoul
-------------------

Quote:
> I need information and samples about the RegOpenKeyEx, RegCloseKeyEx,
> RegQueryKeyEx, etc.
> Can anybody help me?
> Thanks
> Regards.
> Sebastian Piccolotto
> Crdoba, Argentina

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 06:11:49 GMT
 Windows Register
These are VERY well documented in the Platform SDK. What
problems do you encounter?

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:
> I need information and samples about the RegOpenKeyEx, RegCloseKeyEx,
> RegQueryKeyEx, etc.
> Can anybody help me?
> Thanks
> Regards.
> Sebastian Piccolotto
> Crdoba, Argentina

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 06:52:53 GMT
 Windows Register

Quote:
> These are VERY well documented in the Platform SDK.

...Well, I spent two days debugging before I realized that the last
parameter of RegQueryValueEx() needed to be initialized(to something less
then a billion) before calling it...
I looked at it as an OUT parameter since it was a pointer, so my app worked
well in WIN 2000 (release builds), but not in WIN98.
(...obviously WIN Y2K can handle bigger sizes in the register then 98...)
They might be well documented but they're not very intuitively written...

Thomas
;)

Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:11:57 GMT
 Windows Register
I wholeheartedly agree :). In/out parameters are not to my liking
either...

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov
Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:

> > These are VERY well documented in the Platform SDK.

> ...Well, I spent two days debugging before I realized that the last
> parameter of RegQueryValueEx() needed to be initialized(to something less
> then a billion) before calling it...
> I looked at it as an OUT parameter since it was a pointer, so my app
worked
> well in WIN 2000 (release builds), but not in WIN98.
> (...obviously WIN Y2K can handle bigger sizes in the register then 98...)
> They might be well documented but they're not very intuitively written...

> Thomas
> ;)

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 01:45:38 GMT
 Windows Register
I don't quite follow. The last parameter of RegQueryValueEx is documented as
follows:

lpcbData
[in/out] Pointer to a variable that specifies the size, in bytes, of the
buffer pointed to by the lpData parameter. When the function returns, this
variable contains the size of the data copied to lpData.

How on earth can that be misinterpreted? It says right at the beginning that
the parameter is [in/out], and contains exactly two sentences, first
explaining what the parameter is supposed to hold on input, second
explaining what the parameter will contain on output. Please show how this
can be documented any clearer.
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

Quote:

> > These are VERY well documented in the Platform SDK.

> ...Well, I spent two days debugging before I realized that the last
> parameter of RegQueryValueEx() needed to be initialized(to something less
> then a billion) before calling it...
> I looked at it as an OUT parameter since it was a pointer, so my app
worked
> well in WIN 2000 (release builds), but not in WIN98.
> (...obviously WIN Y2K can handle bigger sizes in the register then 98...)
> They might be well documented but they're not very intuitively written...

> Thomas
> ;)

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 05:32:06 GMT
 Windows Register
His point was on the design, not the documentation :)...

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov
Microsoft MVP [VC], MCSD

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:
> I don't quite follow. The last parameter of RegQueryValueEx is documented
as
> follows:

> lpcbData
> [in/out] Pointer to a variable that specifies the size, in bytes, of the
> buffer pointed to by the lpData parameter. When the function returns, this
> variable contains the size of the data copied to lpData.

> How on earth can that be misinterpreted? It says right at the beginning
that
> the parameter is [in/out], and contains exactly two sentences, first
> explaining what the parameter is supposed to hold on input, second
> explaining what the parameter will contain on output. Please show how this
> can be documented any clearer.
> --
> With best wishes,
>     Igor Tandetnik

in

> > > These are VERY well documented in the Platform SDK.

> > ...Well, I spent two days debugging before I realized that the last
> > parameter of RegQueryValueEx() needed to be initialized(to something
less
> > then a billion) before calling it...
> > I looked at it as an OUT parameter since it was a pointer, so my app
> worked
> > well in WIN 2000 (release builds), but not in WIN98.
> > (...obviously WIN Y2K can handle bigger sizes in the register then
98...)
> > They might be well documented but they're not very intuitively
written...

> > Thomas
> > ;)

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 09:25:44 GMT
 Windows Register
Sometimes people are embarrased about a problem, so they want a way to avoid
embarassment. If I knew that this is the explantion for what happened here,
then I would suggest that we let things be. I do not know if this is
relevant to this situation, but I think it is a possibility.

Quote:
> I don't quite follow. The last parameter of RegQueryValueEx is documented
as
> follows:

> lpcbData
> [in/out] Pointer to a variable that specifies the size, in bytes, of the
> buffer pointed to by the lpData parameter. When the function returns, this
> variable contains the size of the data copied to lpData.

> How on earth can that be misinterpreted? It says right at the beginning
that
> the parameter is [in/out], and contains exactly two sentences, first
> explaining what the parameter is supposed to hold on input, second
> explaining what the parameter will contain on output. Please show how this
> can be documented any clearer.
> --
> With best wishes,
>     Igor Tandetnik

in

> > > These are VERY well documented in the Platform SDK.

> > ...Well, I spent two days debugging before I realized that the last
> > parameter of RegQueryValueEx() needed to be initialized(to something
less
> > then a billion) before calling it...
> > I looked at it as an OUT parameter since it was a pointer, so my app
> worked
> > well in WIN 2000 (release builds), but not in WIN98.
> > (...obviously WIN Y2K can handle bigger sizes in the register then
98...)
> > They might be well documented but they're not very intuitively
written...

> > Thomas
> > ;)

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 12:37:29 GMT

1. Retrieve raw data (counter value) from windows register

2. Windows Register problem

3. Windows Register

4. info about windows register

5. Windows Registered Messages

6. How do I get the Windows registered username?

7. How I can best work with Windows register in MFC ?

8. HOW TO REGISTER A .net WINDOWS SERVICE?

9. Registering Windows Service.....

10. Register a dll in the windows registry

11. Registering DLL fails with ERROR_GEN_FAILURE on Windows 95

12. problem registering a com dll with Windows 95