Query Domain Controller(s) from Win95
Author Message
 Query Domain Controller(s) from Win95

I need to query any available domain controller from both Windows NT or
Windows 95 clients.  On NT I am successfully getting domain controllers with
NetGetDCName and/or NetGetAnyDCName.

However, I can not find out how to do this on Windows 95.  I found KB
article Q125700 which lists the supported network APIs on Windows 95 using
SVRAPI.DLL, but I can not find any details on these functions.  Both the
July and the October MSDN Libraries say "These are no longer supported", and
suggest alternatives that are only supported on NT.  I have fought with this
for 6 hours and am quite angry with MSDN right now.

After I get the name of any domain controller, among other things I need to
get the current user's Full Name.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marty List

Fri, 20 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Query Domain Controller(s) from Win95
I don't have it handy but look at the VC samples under \winbase\security\
on the Visual Studio 6.0 or VC MSDN CD. Try the win32 samples site
link off www.mvps.org too. Also query the MS site for LsaOpenPolicy
to find a sample.

Status = LsaEnumerateTrustedDomains

The problem I am having with this method is that it seems to require direct
access to the PDC and won't query a BDC... and if the PDC is remote then
you've got a problem.. I may be wrong, I haven't looked too closely at it.

Steve

Quote:

> I need to query any available domain controller from both Windows NT or
> Windows 95 clients.  On NT I am successfully getting domain controllers with
> NetGetDCName and/or NetGetAnyDCName.

> However, I can not find out how to do this on Windows 95.  I found KB
> article Q125700 which lists the supported network APIs on Windows 95 using
> SVRAPI.DLL, but I can not find any details on these functions.  Both the
> July and the October MSDN Libraries say "These are no longer supported", and
> suggest alternatives that are only supported on NT.  I have fought with this
> for 6 hours and am quite angry with MSDN right now.

> After I get the name of any domain controller, among other things I need to
> get the current user's Full Name.

> Any ideas?

> Thanks,

> Marty List

Fri, 04 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to List Domain Controllers in domain

2. Changing Domain Controller (nltest /sc_reset)

3. Creating a new user on Active Directory enabled domain controller

4. Validate an account on a WinNT Domain controller

5. Validate an account on a WinNT Domain controller

6. VBS Script error on domain controller

7. Is local computer Domain Controller or Member Server

8. Get domain controller in current site of ad

9. Synchronise domain controllers

10. script for win2000 domain controller

11. Retrieving Just Domain Controllers

12. is it possible to enumerate Domain Controllers?