Winsock Control Problems
Author Message
 Winsock Control Problems

I am using VB 5.0 to create a simple chat program with the Winsock Control.
I am only designing it for our home network - NOT the Internet, and am using
the UDP protocol.
I have tried using the sample code from VB Books Online and also other apps,
but it does not work. I have traced the problem to the 'RemoteHost' property
of the control. I set this to the friendly computer name - e.g..
"ComputerA", but every time I call the 'SendData' method I get the error
'10014 Invalid Address'.
Can anyone tell me why this is, or give me any help at all? I have looked
all over the net and cannot figure out why I am experiencing this problem.
Thanks

Bubble

Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Winsock Control Problems
Hello Daniel,

The first thing to check is if you successfully connect to the RemoteHost. You
might want to first check the State of the winsock control to see if u get
connected ( i think 7 = connected). Then you can check SendData and stuff.

Hope this helps,
All the BEST.
Shajahan [MVP]
I Love Newsgroup family :-)

Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Winsock Control Problems
I think that you need to be connected to a tcp/ip server but not 100% sure

Quote:
>I am using VB 5.0 to create a simple chat program with the Winsock Control.
>I am only designing it for our home network - NOT the Internet, and am
using
>the UDP protocol.
>I have tried using the sample code from VB Books Online and also other
apps,
>but it does not work. I have traced the problem to the 'RemoteHost'
property
>of the control. I set this to the friendly computer name - e.g..
>"ComputerA", but every time I call the 'SendData' method I get the error
>'10014 Invalid Address'.
>Can anyone tell me why this is, or give me any help at all? I have looked
>all over the net and cannot figure out why I am experiencing this problem.
>Thanks

>Bubble

Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Winsock Control Problems

Quote:

>I set this to the friendly computer name - e.g..
>"ComputerA", but every time I call the 'SendData' method I get the error
>'10014 Invalid Address'.

How are you resolving the address?  IOW, the "Invalid Address" it's
referring to is, I believe, the IP address of the remote computer.  If you
can't ping that machine using the NetBios name, then you won't be able to
connect via sockets.  (Try typing "ping ComputerA" from the command line.
If nothing comes back, you've found the problem.)

I would imagine that, since this is a home network, you don't have a DNS or
WINS server, so you'll need to use an lmhosts file.

Troy Young
  Senior Software Engineer
  Ventana Corporation

    (remove "nospam" to reply)

Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Winsock Control Problems
Hi,

If you haven't a DHCP server and neither a fixed (faked) IP address, you
won't be able to reach the remoteHost PC easily. Try 192.168.0.1 as faked
address (mask is 255.255.255.0) on the remoteHost, have TCP/IP protocol
installed, on the PC trying to connect to the remote host, from the Run
command, ping the address given here up. If you get an answer from the ping
command, try the Winsock control again, with the fixed address. If you don't
succeed, at which point do you detect a problem?

Hope it may help,
Vanderghast, Access MVP.

Quote:

>I am using VB 5.0 to create a simple chat program with the Winsock Control.
>I am only designing it for our home network - NOT the Internet, and am
using
>the UDP protocol.
>I have tried using the sample code from VB Books Online and also other
apps,
>but it does not work. I have traced the problem to the 'RemoteHost'
property
>of the control. I set this to the friendly computer name - e.g..
>"ComputerA", but every time I call the 'SendData' method I get the error
>'10014 Invalid Address'.
>Can anyone tell me why this is, or give me any help at all? I have looked
>all over the net and cannot figure out why I am experiencing this problem.
>Thanks

>Bubble

Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Winsock Control Problems

2. Winsock control problems

3. Winsock control problem

4. WinSock Control Problem

5. Winsock Control Problems

6. Q: Winsock Control Problem

7. MS Winsock Controls Problem - Automation Error

8. WinSock Control Problems

9. VB 5 - WINSOCK Control problem?

10. HELP: VB5 Winsock Control Problems

11. VB 5.0 Winsock Control Problem -- any solutions?

12. Winsock control problem