Determining Group Membership...
Author Message
 Determining Group Membership...

Hello. I am looking at writing an app that will run from my user's
login script whenever they log into a domain. This app will need to
perform certain actions, depending on which domain groups the user is
a member of.

This app needs to run on Win95 and WinNT machines. I want to have it
on the server, so I don't have to install anything on my workstations.

I have found some API functions that enumerate group membership, but
they only work on NT. Is there anything I can do that will work on
both NT and win9x? What about ADSI?

Thank you for any help/pointers/suggestions.

Derek Mangrum
Derek Mangrum

Hope International Univeristy
www.hiu.edu

Tue, 27 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Determining Group Membership...
You could use Windows Scripting Host along with ADSI (both need to be
installed on the client), or Kix32 (which does not need to be installed on
the client).

Kix32 is on the NT Server resource kit

Cheers,

Andy

Quote:
>Hello. I am looking at writing an app that will run from my user's
>login script whenever they log into a domain. This app will need to
>perform certain actions, depending on which domain groups the user is
>a member of.

>This app needs to run on Win95 and WinNT machines. I want to have it
>on the server, so I don't have to install anything on my workstations.

>I have found some API functions that enumerate group membership, but
>they only work on NT. Is there anything I can do that will work on
>both NT and win9x? What about ADSI?

>Thank you for any help/pointers/suggestions.

>Derek Mangrum
>Derek Mangrum

>Hope International Univeristy
>www.hiu.edu

Tue, 27 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Determining Group Membership...
I Think the best and easiest you can use is the script language kixtart from
MS.
Quote:

>Hello. I am looking at writing an app that will run from my user's
>login script whenever they log into a domain. This app will need to
>perform certain actions, depending on which domain groups the user is
>a member of.

>This app needs to run on Win95 and WinNT machines. I want to have it
>on the server, so I don't have to install anything on my workstations.

>I have found some API functions that enumerate group membership, but
>they only work on NT. Is there anything I can do that will work on
>both NT and win9x? What about ADSI?

>Thank you for any help/pointers/suggestions.

>Derek Mangrum
>Derek Mangrum

>Hope International Univeristy
>www.hiu.edu

Mon, 02 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Determining Group Membership...
Here is the easier method,

In the NT Resource Kit I think Supp 3, there is a command line tool called
IfMember. Here's the description for it:

IfMember is a command-line utility that checks whether the current user is a
member of a specified group. It is typically used in Windows NT Workstation
and Windows NT Server logon scripts and other batch files.

IfMember accepts a list of groups as parameters on the command line, and
checks to see to how many of those groups the current user belongs. It then
exits with the number of matches as its exit value, which can be used by the
IF ERRORLEVEL command in the logon script.

IfMember uses it's own process token to discover group membership, rather
than querying the relevant Domain Controller each time it runs. Whilst this
has a significant performance benefit, it does mean that IfMember will only
be aware of groups on the local computer, on the computers domain, and on
trusted domains.

Example:

ifmember Administrators

if not errorlevel 1 exit
REM the rest of this batch file will only be run if the user is a member of
the Administrators group.

Overview of Windows NT Resource Kit Tools version 4.03.02 ? Microsoft
Corporation 1985 - 1998

Shawn
MCSE+I

Quote:

>I Think the best and easiest you can use is the script language kixtart
from
>MS.

>>Hello. I am looking at writing an app that will run from my user's
>>login script whenever they log into a domain. This app will need to
>>perform certain actions, depending on which domain groups the user is
>>a member of.

>>This app needs to run on Win95 and WinNT machines. I want to have it
>>on the server, so I don't have to install anything on my workstations.

>>I have found some API functions that enumerate group membership, but
>>they only work on NT. Is there anything I can do that will work on
>>both NT and win9x? What about ADSI?

>>Thank you for any help/pointers/suggestions.

>>Derek Mangrum
>>Derek Mangrum

>>Hope International Univeristy
>>www.hiu.edu

Mon, 02 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Determining Group Membership

2. Q:How do determine a user's NT group membership

3. Q:How do determine a user's NT group membership

4. Programmatically determine a users membership in COM+ roles.

5. Programmatically determine a users membership in COM+ roles.

6. extracting the group membership of a user?

7. Get User's rights/group membership details

8. Selected users group membership in listbox

9. Security - Group Membership

10. Want to test user's security group membership in Access

11. Domain Integration - Checking Group Membership

12. Checking Group Membership