Forcing a master browser election through code
Author Message
 Forcing a master browser election through code

Hi all -

    The company I work for is experiencing troubles with browsing across a
network. I have been asked if I could write any VB code that would force a
master browser election at a particular time. I don't know of any API call
to force an election and I wondered if anybody here knew of one or could
point me to some resources for further research.

Matt

Sat, 22 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Forcing a master browser election through code
Check out NetServerGetInfo/NetServerSetInfo

--
Monte Hansen
Vb Yuk Yuk

Quote:
> Hi all -

>     The company I work for is experiencing troubles with browsing across a
> network. I have been asked if I could write any VB code that would force a
> master browser election at a particular time. I don't know of any API call
> to force an election and I wondered if anybody here knew of one or could
> point me to some resources for further research.

> Matt

Sat, 22 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Forcing a master browser election through code
Hi Monte -

    I looked at these functions, but didn't see anything that sounded like
it would cause an election. I see in the definition for SERVER_INFO_102 at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/network/ntlmapi3_88oi.htm that there
are a couple elements that appear to tell me if the server is or can be a
browser (SV_TYPE_POTENTIAL_BROWSER, SV_TYPE_BACKUP_BROWSER,
SV_TYPE_MASTER_BROWSER, SV_TYPE_DOMAIN_MASTER). Would I use NetServerSetInfo
to set the current master browser to a potential browser and that would
trigger an election? Another bit of info I was just given is it has to work
on Win95 only networks. Would you happen to know if this will work for Win95
also? I see an article
(http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q125/7/00.asp) that seems
to indicate that it will, I just wondered if you might know off hand.

I appreciate all the help anybody can give me!

Matt

Quote:
> Check out NetServerGetInfo/NetServerSetInfo

> --
> Monte Hansen
> Vb Yuk Yuk

> > Hi all -

> >     The company I work for is experiencing troubles with browsing across
> > network. I have been asked if I could write any VB code that would force
> > master browser election at a particular time. I don't know of any API
call
> > to force an election and I wondered if anybody here knew of one or could
> > point me to some resources for further research.

> > Matt

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Forcing a master browser election through code
Well I'm afraid that's a toughy -- it will be hard enough on NT, but
Win95...

And actually, I believe I was incorrect in mentioning NetServerSetInfo, I
don't think that will help you either.

If you look at the documenation for SetServiceBits, it states that
SV_TYPE_MASTER_BROWSER is reserved for use by Microsoft (not that that's
ever stopped anyone).

Perhaps one of the command line utlities might point you in a better
direction (such as browstat browmon).

I'm sorry I wasn't much help.

--
Monte Hansen
VB Yuk Yuk

Quote:
> Hi Monte -

>     I looked at these functions, but didn't see anything that sounded like
> it would cause an election. I see in the definition for SERVER_INFO_102 at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/network/ntlmapi3_88oi.htm that
there
> are a couple elements that appear to tell me if the server is or can be a
> browser (SV_TYPE_POTENTIAL_BROWSER, SV_TYPE_BACKUP_BROWSER,
> SV_TYPE_MASTER_BROWSER, SV_TYPE_DOMAIN_MASTER). Would I use
NetServerSetInfo
> to set the current master browser to a potential browser and that would
> trigger an election? Another bit of info I was just given is it has to
work
> on Win95 only networks. Would you happen to know if this will work for
Win95
> also? I see an article
> (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q125/7/00.asp) that
seems
> to indicate that it will, I just wondered if you might know off hand.

> I appreciate all the help anybody can give me!

> Matt

> > Check out NetServerGetInfo/NetServerSetInfo

> > --
> > Monte Hansen
> > Vb Yuk Yuk

> > > Hi all -

> > >     The company I work for is experiencing troubles with browsing
across
> > > network. I have been asked if I could write any VB code that would
force
> > > master browser election at a particular time. I don't know of any API
> call
> > > to force an election and I wondered if anybody here knew of one or
could
> > > point me to some resources for further research.

> > > Matt

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Forcing a master browser election through code
Hi Matt,

I do not know how to force a master browser election in the network by
programming, but I think the following info can help you to figure out your
problem.

There is a hierarchy of machines to be the master browser: NT server,
Workstation and W98/W95. So if you have a NT Workstation none of W95 will be
a master browser.
There is a time of each machine to announce itself to the network and this
time goes from ( I am not sure about the exact numbers ) a minute until 30
minutes. And the master browser keeps the info about all known machines for
15 minutes.
Thus, if a machine goes down it can appear in the network list for 45
minutes !!!

I think there is a key in the registry which you can modify this times, but
it can overload your network because of this announce is made by broadcasts.

Have a good day,

Sato

Sato

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Forced Election

2. Force a new code segment in native code

3. Force Web Browser to load Word document in foreground

4. Forcing browser windows to close

5. Web Browser: force read from file

6. API in Win95 to force a Master Browser refresh ?

7. old code - new browser - code doesn't work

8. How to update document master shapes from template master shapes

9. Master-Detail with 2 seperate detail sections per master record, CR.NET

10. Adding a category to Master category list with VBA code

11. ActiveX control code in Master?

12. Code for a Master