How do I send popup messages from NT server?
Author Message
 How do I send popup messages from NT server?

Here goes...
    I have written a passcode generation server that is located on the main
server where I work. It uses sockets to communicate between a client program
on workstations and the passcode server on the server. This allows the
server to log all of the events, and keep some security since the client
programs by themselves cannot generate the passcodes, and the workstation
program has to log on to the server program with passwords independent of
the network. The generated passcodes are used to enable some test equipment
that we sell for leasing blocks.
    Anyhow, there has been fishy business going on from some of the clients,
and I want the server program to be able to send popup messages to some
specified people to alert them to what is going on, and when it is noticed.
In particular the owner of the business would like to know so he can check
it out.
    What are the calls required to send a popup message to another user
using WINPOPUP?
    I don't program in VB as a full-time job, only some side-dabbling so a
short example would be great.
    -Mark

Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How do I send popup messages from NT server?
Mark,

http://www.netfokus.dk/vbadmincode/

There is a sample app here that uses Netsend in NT.  It will work sending
messages to Winpopup also. Just change the code from the message box to your
own message and destination. You will have to add a
%username% variable (from the network) in the message somehow to return the
userid of who is using the program or you may have your own way of
identifying them in your program.

OR simpler yet but a little kludgy :)

You could use the Shell statement to shell out to a CMD prompt and use
SendKeys to send the NT's "Netsend" command to send a certain message to
either a userID or a machine name or a Domain (careful) :)
Your message sounds like your running all NT so it would work.

Shawn

Quote:

>Here goes...
>    I have written a passcode generation server that is located on the main
>server where I work. It uses sockets to communicate between a client
program
>on workstations and the passcode server on the server. This allows the
>server to log all of the events, and keep some security since the client
>programs by themselves cannot generate the passcodes, and the workstation
>program has to log on to the server program with passwords independent of
>the network. The generated passcodes are used to enable some test equipment
>that we sell for leasing blocks.
>    Anyhow, there has been fishy business going on from some of the
clients,
>and I want the server program to be able to send popup messages to some
>specified people to alert them to what is going on, and when it is noticed.
>In particular the owner of the business would like to know so he can check
>it out.
>    What are the calls required to send a popup message to another user
>using WINPOPUP?
>    I don't program in VB as a full-time job, only some side-dabbling so a
>short example would be great.
>    -Mark

Tue, 27 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB5 - send popup message?

2. Sending 'popup messages' from VB6

3. send message popup

4. MAPI message Send method puts message in Outbox but it isn't actually sent

5. Sending message to NT user.

6. Sending Messages To Multiple Copies Of a Program On Windows NT

7. Send message across network (NT or novell)

8. Send messages across network (NT or novell)

9. Sending messages across network (NT or novell)

10. Send/Post messages to NT Terminal Services Window

11. Sending Messages to Windows NT wvwnt log

12. Send message like WinPopUp, using NT Logon Name