Easy way to see if I am connected to network
Author Message
 Easy way to see if I am connected to network

Hi All,
        I have an application on a laptop that needs to resync a local
database when it connects to the company LAN. It would be nice to do
this automatically when the users boots up and is connected. My question
is What is the best way to detect a network connection ( i'd rather not
ping if possible)

TIA

Chris Grove, MCP (VB6)

******
PLEASE POST REPLIES TO NEWS GROUP SO ALL
CAN BENEFIT
*******

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Easy way to see if I am connected to network
Why not trying to access a network share?
If you know the UNC name of your database on the network, just try
to access/open it. An error would indicate that the share is not available
(PC not online).
By using shell hooks, it should also be possible to detect when new network
drives
are mapped. No idea whether there is an event indicating when the user
inserted a
network card into the laptop, ..., there must be something.
Hope this helps

Alex

Quote:
> Hi All,
> I have an application on a laptop that needs to resync a local
> database when it connects to the company LAN. It would be nice to do
> this automatically when the users boots up and is connected. My question
> is What is the best way to detect a network connection ( i'd rather not
> ping if possible)

> TIA

> Chris Grove, MCP (VB6)

> ******
> PLEASE POST REPLIES TO NEWS GROUP SO ALL
> CAN BENEFIT
> *******

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Seeing if I am connected

2. Dial Up Networking: Am I Connected?

3. How can I tell if I am connected to the network

4. Am I connected to the network

5. Am I Connected To a Network?

6. Other easier simpler ways to access a mdb file from VB

7. I am seeing a ghost in the list of macros in Word 2002

8. Connecting to table, seeing first record.

9. connect to the first free network drive and connect to an

10. Unable to connect to PBA unless connected to network

11. Connecting to network shares when network is detected only - help please

12. Seeing changes across network with VB4