NetGroupGetUsers doesn't give full name????
Author Message
 NetGroupGetUsers doesn't give full name????

VB/NT4 environment.

I want to retrieve BOTH short and full user names given a particular server
and specific global domain group.  Used the NetGroupGetUsers API call and it
works just fine except that the amount of user info is limited to just the
short name.  So now if I want to see that user's full name, I've gotta turn
around, take that short name and pass it to NetUserGetInfo (I used the
USER_INFO_10 level since it was a pretty small structure and has the full
name in it)!  Two API calls just to get the full name of a user in a
specific group?  I'm hoping there's a single API call for this.  Can anyone
clue me in??

Thanks!

-Mike

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 03:36:22 GMT
 NetGroupGetUsers doesn't give full name????
Two calls for such a task doesn't seem that much to me...
You're doing the right thing here. Unless you want to use ADSI instead, I
can't think of a better way.

Bj?rn Holmgren
Concept / Development
Integration AB
Olof Asklunds gata 10
SE-421 30 V?stra Fr?lunda, Sweden
Office +46 31 709 50 00
Mobile +46 706 84 01 29
Fax +46 31 709 50 99

> VB/NT4 environment.

> I want to retrieve BOTH short and full user names given a particular
server
> and specific global domain group.  Used the NetGroupGetUsers API call and
it
> works just fine except that the amount of user info is limited to just the
> short name.  So now if I want to see that user's full name, I've gotta
turn
> around, take that short name and pass it to NetUserGetInfo (I used the
> USER_INFO_10 level since it was a pretty small structure and has the full
> name in it)!  Two API calls just to get the full name of a user in a
> specific group?  I'm hoping there's a single API call for this.  Can
anyone
> clue me in??

> Thanks!

> -Mike

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:56:21 GMT
 NetGroupGetUsers doesn't give full name????
Bj?rn,

Thanks for the response.  I guess it was just wishful thinking that I could
do it all with one call by asking the API for a more robust user info
structure.  True, two calls are not so big, but there is that redundancy
that I always hate coding.  Plus, querying this way against some of our
larger global user groups now takes much longer than querying against the
whole user list with NetQueryDisplayInformation.  So, in our setup if
specific group users are not so important, we'll query against the whole
user list.  We'll only go the double API call technique if end users
specifically need only a subset of users.

Thanks again.

-Mike

Quote:
> Two calls for such a task doesn't seem that much to me...
> You're doing the right thing here. Unless you want to use ADSI instead, I
> can't think of a better way.

> --
> Bj?rn Holmgren
> Concept / Development
> Integration AB
> Olof Asklunds gata 10
> SE-421 30 V?stra Fr?lunda, Sweden
> Office +46 31 709 50 00
> Mobile +46 706 84 01 29
> Fax +46 31 709 50 99

> > VB/NT4 environment.

> > I want to retrieve BOTH short and full user names given a particular
> server
> > and specific global domain group.  Used the NetGroupGetUsers API call
and
> it
> > works just fine except that the amount of user info is limited to just
the
> > short name.  So now if I want to see that user's full name, I've gotta
> turn
> > around, take that short name and pass it to NetUserGetInfo (I used the
> > USER_INFO_10 level since it was a pretty small structure and has the
full
> > name in it)!  Two API calls just to get the full name of a user in a
> > specific group?  I'm hoping there's a single API call for this.  Can
> anyone
> > clue me in??

> > Thanks!

> > -Mike

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:33:29 GMT
 NetGroupGetUsers doesn't give full name????

| VB/NT4 environment.
| I want to retrieve BOTH short and full user names given a particular server
| and specific global domain group.
The following page may be helpful to you although written in Japanese.
http://www.vbvbvb.com/jp/gtips/0301/gNetUserEnumFullName.html
http://www.vbvbvb.com/jp/gtips/0251/gNetGroupGetUsers.html
http://www.vbvbvb.com/jp/gtips/0301/gNetUserGetGroups.html

Although written in Japanese, you will be able to find some examples
at the following page. Specify "Net*" as a keyword, and search.
http://www.vbvbvb.com/jp/gtips/index.html
--
mado http://www.vbvbvb.com/

Mon, 29 Sep 2003 01:00:56 GMT

1. Can't Get full File name for Long file names

2. Doesn't recognize name or names

3. Changing control name of button doesn't change event name to be the same

4. beforeTaskChange doesn't expose full date

5. Full Text doesn't work for Knowledge Base

6. Sendername doesn't give me the actual e-mail address

7. How to find user's full name

8. User's full name

9. Change user's full name...

10. User's Full Name

11. How to get User's Full Name in NT4.0

12. Getting a machine's MAC address given a NETBIOS machine name or IP address