Special Folders
Author Message
 Special Folders

        You've seen the folders with special icons in Windows Explorer (Recycle
Bin, History Folder for Internet Explorer, Program Groups).  How can I add
this fuctionality to my program?

        Thanks in advance.

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Special Folders

------=_NextPart_000_01BC6217.9FF16AE0

Oh boy... what you're wanting to do will take a *long* time to =
implement... these special folders (which include others like the =
Control Panel and Dial-up Networking, and IE4 adds an "Internet" one) =
are called "namespace extensions", and they are documented at =
Microsoft's Web site ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ). =
Basically, you really can't do this without VB5, since you need =
extensive use of callbacks, subclassing, and runtime window-creation of =
ListView controls and such...
In short, most of us just don't want to take the time to implement them =
in VB.
--
-- Ben
SiteBuilder Network Level 2

You've seen the folders with special icons in Windows Explorer (Recycle
Bin, History Folder for Internet Explorer, Program Groups).  How can I =
add
this fuctionality to my program?

------=_NextPart_000_01BC6217.9FF16AE0

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D'"Trident 4.71.0544.0"' name=3DGENERATOR>

</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Oh boy... what you're wanting to do will =
take a=20
*long* time to implement... these special folders (which include others =
like the=20
Control Panel and Dial-up Networking, and IE4 adds an =
&quot;Internet&quot; one)=20
are called &quot;namespace extensions&quot;, and they are documented at=20
Microsoft's Web site (<A=20
href=3D" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;> http://www.*-*-*.com/
in32dev/ui/</A>=20
). Basically, you really can't do this without VB5, since you need =
extensive use=20
of callbacks, subclassing, and runtime window-creation of ListView =
controls and=20
such...</FONT>

<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In short, most of us just don't want to =
take the time=20
to implement them in VB.</FONT>

<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>--<BR>
<HTML><BODY><FONT size=3D2>-- Ben<BR>
SiteBuilder Network Level 2<BR>
Ben's VB5 Page -- This site has been Activated!<BR>
<A=20
href=3D"http://www.{*filter*}highway.com/~psy/">http://www.{*filter*}highway.com/~p=
sy/</A><BR>
Requires IE3.01 or higher...<BR>
</FONT></FONT>

<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2> <EM><FONT color=3D#808080>V. =

<HTML><BODY>You've seen the folders with special icons in Windows =
Explorer=20
(Recycle<BR>
Bin, History Folder for Internet Explorer, Program Groups).&nbsp; How =
can I=20
add<BR>
this fuctionality to my program?<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></EM></FONT></P>

</BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_01BC6217.9FF16AE0--

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Special Folders

Depends on what exactly you're looking for...simply providing special
icons on a per-object basis can be done using an icon-handler shell
extension.  Depending on what you need, you may have to implement a
namespace extension, as someone else mentioned.

Quote:

>    You've seen the folders with special icons in Windows Explorer (Recycle
>Bin, History Folder for Internet Explorer, Program Groups).  How can I add
>this fuctionality to my program?

>    Thanks in advance.

--Homepage--> http://www.cris.com/~Dabbler/

Key fingerprint =  D3 97 DD 82 FD 13 2A EE  CD 33 E4 5E 6F 5A B4 61

Sat, 06 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Special Folders

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Special Folders

Check ot http://www.docsoftware.com for FREE Web based Microsoft PREP
tests.

Sun, 07 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. "special folders"

2. Access to "Special Folders" using VBScript

3. Special Folders

4. Special Folders

5. special folders, GetSpecialFolder function

6. Using SHGetFolderPath for special folder locations

7. special folders, GetSpecialFolder function

8. Special Folders....Items in

9. Creating Special Folders

10. Getting Trailing Backslash for Special Folders

11. How to create a system or special folder

12. Special Folders