Saving bitmaps
Author Message
 Saving bitmaps

We have an application here in my office where a bitmap file is loaded
into a picture box then modified and copied as an image into another
picture box.

When the file is saved using the SavePicture function it uses the
actual resolution of the screen. Creating a bitmap file that even
if it's only using 3 colors and that the original file was based on a
resolution of 640x480 at 16 colors would grow big for the simple reason
that it will use the actual resolution of the screen, wich could be
1024x768 at 16 bit colors

Would StrechBlt or StretchDIBlt and SaveDC API's would give me and the
users a choice on that?

Sat, 03 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Saving bitmaps

Quote:

>When the file is saved using the SavePicture function it uses the
>actual resolution of the screen. Creating a bitmap file that even
>Would StrechBlt or StretchDIBlt and SaveDC API's would give me and the
>users a choice on that?

No.  these APIs are all for manipulating images in a device context, not for
saving them to disk.  You will need to write your own version of SavePicture
or go with a 3rd party control.  If you are programming for Win95B or later
you can use the Windows Imaging Controls (Wang Imaging) which are included
with Windows.  There are 4 OCXs for imaging.  Look for IMGADMIN.OCX.  It has
a save file dialog which will allow you to save pictures as 24bit, 8bit,
4bit, or grayscale and in a variety of file formats (BMP, JPEG, TIFF, PCX).

Hope this helps.

Ray Mercer
http://www.macnica.co.jp

Fri, 09 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Saving bitmaps

Quote:
>We have an application here in my office where a bitmap file is loaded
>into a picture box then modified and copied as an image into another
>picture box.

>When the file is saved using the SavePicture function it uses the
>actual resolution of the screen. Creating a bitmap file that even
>if it's only using 3 colors and that the original file was based on a
>resolution of 640x480 at 16 colors would grow big for the simple reason
>that it will use the actual resolution of the screen, wich could be
>1024x768 at 16 bit colors

Don't understand the question.

SavePicture doesn't involve screen resolution and saved bitmap size in
pixels doesn't depend on screen resolution.

SavePicture Picture1.Picture saves at PictureBox Bitmap bits per plane.
SavePicture Picture1.Image saves at display bits per plane.

--
Richard Mason

Sat, 10 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Saving Bitmaps

2. Help! Saving Bitmaps

3. Saving Bitmaps to different color modes

4. saving bitmaps, icons, metafiles in 1 file

5. Saving bitmaps.

6. Saving Bitmaps

7. How to save bitmaps/wav files in Resource File

8. HELP!! - Saving Bitmaps+Data

9. Saving Bitmaps to a Database

10. Saving Bitmaps with SavePicture

11. Saving Bitmaps