Extend a control beyond its container
Author Message
 Extend a control beyond its container

f you place a combobox (style=dropdown list) at the very bottom of a
form and load the list with items, when the project is run and you drop
down the list, it will extend past the confines of its container form.
PROBLEM: I am writing an activex control that will look and behave like
a combobox but allow graphics to be displayed along with text in the
list and also allow each list entry to be a different color. I am using
2 msflexgrids and a picturebox. The picturebox for the dropdown arrow, 1
grid for the non dropped down portion of the control and another grid
for the dropped down list. When I show the list it is clipped if it
extends past the botton of its container control.  Does anyone know how
to overcome this limitation. Something along the order of a popup menu
but for controls instead of menu items.
Thanks.

Thu, 01 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Extend a control beyond its container
I have not tried this with constituent controls however with userdrawn
controls I just get the screen DC and draw on to it.

eg. dim scnDC as lon
scnDC=getDC(0&)

draw whatever, Whereever
clean up the screen as noone else will

'always release dc as there's only a few available
released hWnd,scnDC

hope it helps a little
Alex E

Quote:

>f you place a combobox (style=dropdown list) at the very bottom of a
>form and load the list with items, when the project is run and you drop
>down the list, it will extend past the confines of its container form.
>PROBLEM: I am writing an activex control that will look and behave like
>a combobox but allow graphics to be displayed along with text in the
>list and also allow each list entry to be a different color. I am using
>2 msflexgrids and a picturebox. The picturebox for the dropdown arrow, 1
>grid for the non dropped down portion of the control and another grid
>for the dropped down list. When I show the list it is clipped if it
>extends past the botton of its container control.  Does anyone know how
>to overcome this limitation. Something along the order of a popup menu
>but for controls instead of menu items.
>Thanks.

Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Extend a control beyond its container

2. Extend a control beyond its container

3. Extend a control beyond its container

4. Control not extending beyond the bottom of a form

5. Make a treeview able to extend beyond the limits of a form

6. How to create a usercontrol that can extend over the edge of the container form

7. Custom Control: Container inside container...

8. Moving Controls from Container to Container

9. Custom Control: Container inside container...

10. Desperate: Setting a control on ActiveX control as a container

11. How to set a controls container to a control on a UserControl

12. Selecting multiple controls from a container control in VB4