windows startup
Author Message
 windows startup

Quote:
> I am actually new to windows api so I need a little help.
> I have built a program that counts the time you stay
> connected to the internet.
> I want it to start in the windows startup. It should
> automatically detect the internet connection (just like
> messengers or ICQ) & start counting
> I have the following questions:
> 1. How can I add it to the quick launch toolbar so that it
> resides in the backgound & gets activated when an internet
> connection takes place.

Hmm, do you mean add an icon to the quick launch toolbar or add your
application to get started when windows gets started?  I think you're
probably getting your terminology mixed up here but just in case here's an
expert from a post I wrote on the subject a few weeks ago:

<quote>
By toolbar do you mean the IE quick-launch box or the system tray?  If the
latter then there are numerous examples around, for the former then I did
some research and came up with the following:

'***
OSfCreateShellLink "..\..\APPLIC~1\MICROS~1\INTERN~1\QUICKL~1", _
    strProgramIconTitle, strProgramPath, strProgramArgs, fPrivate, sParent
'***

However I don't know how reliable it is but I've found the same code in a
couple of different places so it may be ok.  The full path is :
"{userappdata}\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"
</quote>

To make your application load on startup, just create a shortcut to it and
place it in Start -> Programs -> Startup or in this registry key:
There's plenty of examples online about accessing the registry with VB, but
there's a couple of good tutorial on this here:
http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
> 2. when the user is connected to the internet , how can I
> add an icon (or whatever u call it) in the quick lauch
> toolbar that displays the number of
> minutes (just like the getright downloads).

I think you're probably wanting to create an icon in the system tray,
there's plenty of examples of this online, just do a search:
http://www.*-*-*.com/ +system+tray+icon
Hope this helps,

    Mike

 -- EDais --

 - Microsoft Visual Basic MVP -
WWW: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 12 May 2005 19:34:07 GMT

1. Automatic Execution On Windows Startup

2. Windows startup directory.

3. Start program on windows-startup?

4. The Windows startup folder

5. Run a program at Windows startup

6. Windows Startup & Shutdown

7. Load Application from Window StartUp

8. Windows Startup directory

9. Howto set Window Startup Size?

10. MDI Child Window Startup Size?

11. Windows Startup?

12. MDI Child windows startup Minimized?