Re-Naming a Registry Key; Can it be done?
Author Message
 Re-Naming a Registry Key; Can it be done?

Hello,

I need to rename the following key to preserve it so that I can rename
it back to its original name later. This key does have a subkey.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5b4dae26-b807-11d0-9815-00c04fd91972}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{-5b4dae26-b807-11d0-9815-00c04fd91972}

( I am adding a dash character before the first number in the key)

I can't find an API to rename the key.  I would recreate the key under
the new name, but I can't seem to recreate the default value for the
subkey InProcessServer which has a Type called "REG_EXPAND_SZ" or I
would do it.  (my routines only create a type called "REG_SZ").

I'm not too up on the Windows API, and use some routines found on the
web to write and delete my registry keys via VB.  Could someone PLEASE
show me how I can accomplish a renaming of this key?

From my web seaches I see that a VB routine to rename a key would be
usefull to a lot of people.  I've seen the question quite a few times
but never a solution.

Thanks to all in advance.

Rory

Wed, 04 May 2005 03:04:33 GMT

1. Renaming or copying a registry key and its sub-keys

2. How to rename a key in the Registry

3. Renaming Registry key through Visual basic

4. Renaming Registry Key

5. Renaming a Registry key

6. rename registry key

7. Rename devices registry keys

8. Registry Key renaming with VBScript and Regedit

9. Rename Registry Key (NOT VALUE)

10. Q:Rename Registry key

11. How do you Rename a Registry Keys?

12. Rename registry key