Creating avi files from screen captures using AVIFil32.DLL
Author Message
 Creating avi files from screen captures using AVIFil32.DLL

I am trying to work with AVIFil32.dll functions to create a small program
that captures parts of the screen and appends them (without using the disk
to save the pictures first) to an open AVI stream.
I have tried to use the code I found at http://www.*-*-*.com/ and it
worked when I did not touch it, but I need to do some modifications, and the
moment I change something in the API calls, the program stops to function,
crashes the VB env (on the call to AVIStreamRelease or AVIStreamClose) or
simply does not create a readable AVI file.

Can anyone explain me how do I need to pass the parameters correctly (using
varptr, byval etc.) and what calls do I have to make to prepare an open avi
stream and what actions do I have to take in order to correctly capture a
bitmap and append it to that open avi stream?

thankx.

Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:09:39 GMT
 Creating avi files from screen captures using AVIFil32.DLL

Quote:
> I have tried to use the code I found at http://www.shrinkwrapvb.com and it
> worked when I did not touch it, but I need to do some modifications, and
the
> moment I change something in the API calls, the program stops to function,
> crashes the VB env (on the call to AVIStreamRelease or AVIStreamClose) or
> simply does not create a readable AVI file.
> Can anyone explain me how do I need to pass the parameters correctly
(using
> varptr, byval etc.) and what calls do I have to make to prepare an open
avi
> stream and what actions do I have to take in order to correctly capture a
> bitmap and append it to that open avi stream?

Ziv,
API programming with VB requires a real understanding of what you are doing.
I suggest you get a book or two on Win32 API programming and then read
through the explanations of the AVFile Functions that are on my site.  I
spent quite a bit of time explaining what I was doing in each sample already
and I don't think it would help any to "explain how to pass the parameters
correctly" here when I have already done it there ;-)  The other thing that
I always do is look up *each* API that I use in the MSDN documentation.
That is the official and reliable source for all winAPI calls.

If you have more specific questions, maybe with code fragments showing the
changes you are trying to make and the errors you are getting when you do
so, then I am sure that someone here would be glad to give you more help.

Regards,
Ray Mercer
MS-MVP Visual Basic
www.shrinkwrapvb.com

Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:52:55 GMT

1. ? using an AVI file for a screen saver ?

2. ANN: ICT Screen Capture to AVI Active X control

3. KOTH: how to capture screen movie to .avi?

4. AVI Screen Capture anyone?

5. Capturing Direct-X screen (AVI movie thats plaing or DVD that sorta thing)

6. Using StretchBlt to capture screen image to screen saver preview pane

7. What is used to create an AVI File?????

8. Using an AVI file in a project (AVI API Call)

9. capture current frame with *.avi file

10. Including a DLL reference file without using the screen

11. small avi-files for animation of wait screens?

12. Saving picture from a picture box using screen capturing