Jpg Library (Since Intel's is NO LONG AVAILABLE)
Author Message
 Jpg Library (Since Intel's is NO LONG AVAILABLE)

Intel is no longer giving away they're JPG library. (ijl.dll)

A really good one I've used is ImgX (along with ISource.dll), but their
licensing is horrible.
My favorite feature of this solution is the ability to save a file to
memory.   Very handy for winsock apps or ASP stuff (get an image; modify it;
save it to memory; set mime type; response.write it).

I looked at FreeImage.dll.  It's TOTALLY freeware, but limited in
functionality.

Doesn't anyone here have another solution with acceptable licensing that
doesn't cost a fortune?

I'm still crawling through google results (among others) and I'm hoping
someone has a gem I haven't uncovered yet.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions,

Chris

Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:36:12 GMT
 Jpg Library (Since Intel's is NO LONG AVAILABLE)
    I find that Microsoft's GDI+ DLL is great, especially if you are
targeting Win98/ME/XP/2000/NT4 and it is free! Not only is it free for
download, but it has JPEG encoding and decoding, but also GIF (I don't know
about animated gifs...), PNG, TIFF, and of course BMP, it can also decode
several other image formats. That is only the tip of the iceberg though -
you'd have to read the documentation to see all the features and
limitations. The drawbacks are that is it a hefty sized dll - 1.7 MB
uncompressed (a little under 1MB compressed with winzip) and that VB
documentation is basically non-existent...however, there is alot of .Net and
C++ documentation samples out there.

The documentation:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/gdicpp/ugdiplus_1hk5.asp?fram...

The DLL:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=32738

A VB6 sample (could also work with previous VB versions with some editing):
http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=375...
Id=1

    GDI+ is very nice, which is why I plan to use it for most of my
graphical needs, but I would suggest you research GDI+ to see if it will
meet yours. As for saving an image into memory with GDI+... I know you can
edit it in memory pretty easily, but saving to memory would, I am guessing,
require an IStream object, as there is a "SaveToStream" function - probably
does exactly what you are looking for in terms of saving the file to memory.
(I could probably use that - I should look into using IStream...) I'll do
some testing and see if GDI+ and IStream can do what I really think it can.

Avery

Quote:
> Intel is no longer giving away they're JPG library. (ijl.dll)

> A really good one I've used is ImgX (along with ISource.dll), but their
> licensing is horrible.
> My favorite feature of this solution is the ability to save a file to
> memory.   Very handy for winsock apps or ASP stuff (get an image; modify
it;
> save it to memory; set mime type; response.write it).

> I looked at FreeImage.dll.  It's TOTALLY freeware, but limited in
> functionality.

> Doesn't anyone here have another solution with acceptable licensing that
> doesn't cost a fortune?

> I'm still crawling through google results (among others) and I'm hoping
> someone has a gem I haven't uncovered yet.

> Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions,

> Chris

Sat, 29 Jan 2005 03:37:04 GMT
 Jpg Library (Since Intel's is NO LONG AVAILABLE)
    Yep, GDI+ in conjunction with IStream can save/load images to/from
memory as if the image was on disk. I added a very rough sample that simply
loads a file normally, and encodes and saves the image to a stream. The
stream data is then retrieved and saved directly to disk, just so you know
it worked. You will need a typelib with IStorage and IStream interfaces to
view the new sample in action.

The sample:
http://www.pscode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=37541&lngWId=1

The typelib I used to test the sample:
http://www.vbbyjc.com/typelibs/IStorage.tlb

Hopefully this might help give you more options,
     Avery

Quote:
>     I find that Microsoft's GDI+ DLL is great, especially if you are
> targeting Win98/ME/XP/2000/NT4 and it is free! Not only is it free for
> download, but it has JPEG encoding and decoding, but also GIF (I don't
know
> about animated gifs...), PNG, TIFF, and of course BMP, it can also decode
> several other image formats. That is only the tip of the iceberg though -
> you'd have to read the documentation to see all the features and
> limitations. The drawbacks are that is it a hefty sized dll - 1.7 MB
> uncompressed (a little under 1MB compressed with winzip) and that VB
> documentation is basically non-existent...however, there is alot of .Net
and
> C++ documentation samples out there.

> The documentation:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/gdicpp/ugdiplus_1hk5.asp?fram...
Quote:

> The DLL:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=32738

> A VB6 sample (could also work with previous VB versions with some
editing):

http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=375...
Quote:
> Id=1

>     GDI+ is very nice, which is why I plan to use it for most of my
> graphical needs, but I would suggest you research GDI+ to see if it will
> meet yours. As for saving an image into memory with GDI+... I know you can
> edit it in memory pretty easily, but saving to memory would, I am
guessing,
> require an IStream object, as there is a "SaveToStream" function -
probably
> does exactly what you are looking for in terms of saving the file to
memory.
> (I could probably use that - I should look into using IStream...) I'll do
> some testing and see if GDI+ and IStream can do what I really think it
can.

> Avery

> > Intel is no longer giving away they're JPG library. (ijl.dll)

> > A really good one I've used is ImgX (along with ISource.dll), but their
> > licensing is horrible.
> > My favorite feature of this solution is the ability to save a file to
> > memory.   Very handy for winsock apps or ASP stuff (get an image; modify
> it;
> > save it to memory; set mime type; response.write it).

> > I looked at FreeImage.dll.  It's TOTALLY freeware, but limited in
> > functionality.

> > Doesn't anyone here have another solution with acceptable licensing that
> > doesn't cost a fortune?

> > I'm still crawling through google results (among others) and I'm hoping
> > someone has a gem I haven't uncovered yet.

> > Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions,

> > Chris

Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:37:45 GMT
 Jpg Library (Since Intel's is NO LONG AVAILABLE)

cine.cutthisout.mark.com> writes

Quote:
>Intel is no longer giving away they're JPG library. (ijl.dll)

True, but I see nothing in the Licence that prevents you using the
library you have.

Quote:
>My favorite feature of this solution is the ability to save a file to
>memory.   Very handy for winsock apps or ASP stuff (get an image; modify it;
>save it to memory; set mime type; response.write it).
>I looked at FreeImage.dll.  It's TOTALLY freeware, but limited in
>functionality.

Are you saying that it doesn't actually do what you want, get image;
modify etc. or just limited in other ways.

--
Richard Mason

Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:49:23 GMT

1. intel jpg library help

2. Intel 1.1 Intel JPEG Library is FAST but...?

3. calling Intel's Math Kernel Library routines from VB app

4. Intel's Image Processing Library

5. question on the Intel JPG dll

6. Image saving with Intel JPG

7. image saving with Intel JPG

8. quality of JPG from Intel DLL

9. Emorcillo's DeskBand no longer available

10. Intel Jpeg Library

11. Intel Performance Libraries (Math/Image/Signal) in VB?

12. Solution: Get black Image after saving a picture with Intel JPEG library