Minimum size for smoothing TTF truetype fonts
Author Message
 Minimum size for smoothing TTF truetype fonts

The Microsoft Font Smoothing FAQ
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )
says this about minimum font sizes:

Q I've installed Plus! / the free font smoother utility, and made sure font
smoothing is switched on, but at certain sizes (typically between 7 and
13pt) my fonts aren't smoothed. Why is this?
A There are two things to keep in mind here. First, Windows has some default
sizes at which smoothing is turned on or off, and this is dependent on the
style of the typeface. Second, and perhaps more importantly, TrueType has a
mechanism by which a font maker is able to control the sizes at which
smoothing is turned on. As different typefaces may have differing needs at
varying sizes, this becomes one more way for the typographer to control his
or her typeface's look at particular sizes. The font designer's settings
take precedence over the default setting from Windows.

How do I set the default value referred to in the first part of the answer
above?  I understand that some truetype fonts have different minimum font
smoothing values, but I want to change the default minimum in Windows
itself... any ideas?  A certain registry key?  an API call?

Sun, 08 Jun 2003 04:33:24 GMT

1. Is a font a TrueType font?

2. Extracting font bitmap from Truetype font

3. Windows Display Font Sizes Vs. Application Font Sizes

4. Printing a Bitmap with a specific font size On print Font size incorrect

5. Change size, font, and font size of input boxes

6. Font (TTF) in the Resource File ?

7. Install ttf Font from a VB Application

8. Help me with font and needed *.ttf

9. Help needed with font and needed *.ttf

10. VIEW A TTF FILE (True Type Font) with VB 3/4/5

11. How to really add a TTF font?

12. DragDrop (TTF) fonts