Hardware Acceleration and graphics display in the VB PictureBox
Author Message
 Hardware Acceleration and graphics display in the VB PictureBox

We have an application that displays a substantial amount
of graphics in VB PictureBoxes. Most of the graphics are
lines drawn using gdi32 APIs. However, we have recently
added several black and white images to the display. This
is done by loading a gif into a PictureBox and using the
StretchBlt API to display the PictureBox within the
containing PictureBox. This seems to work well on most
machines.

Some users on Windows 98 Dell laptops are having problems
seeing some of the bitmaps. They appear "fuzzy" or faded
some of the time.  However, it's not consistent which
bitmaps are affected and the clarity of the images changes
seemingly randomly. Some are sharp and clear while others
appear faded.

We have found that lowering the Hardware Acceleration
seems to fix this problem.  However, our customer is
against requiring users to do this. I am not familiar at
all with what changing the Hardware Acceleration really
does, but I have read other applications suggest changing
this setting to fix problems (one example is here -
http://www.*-*-*.com/
html)

Does anyone know if changing the Hardware Acceleration is
a viable solution do a display problem, or just a cop out
by a developer because they can't isolate the real
problem? I know without some code samples its impossible
to determine for sure if its not in the code, but I first
wanted to explore the feasibility of a change to Hardware
Acceleration being a reasonable solution.

Thanks.

Wed, 04 May 2005 00:27:52 GMT
 Hardware Acceleration and graphics display in the VB PictureBox
Lowering hardware acceleration to "fix" problems sometimes means that there is a
bug with a specific graphics call(s) in the driver.
I would check with Dell or the video adapter manufacturer to see if an updated
driver exists.
Also be sure to have the latest DirectX release installed.
I would *not* use that "fix" as a viable solution to your end user.

David
lilchips.com

Quote:

> We have an application that displays a substantial amount
> of graphics in VB PictureBoxes. Most of the graphics are
> lines drawn using gdi32 APIs. However, we have recently
> added several black and white images to the display. This
> is done by loading a gif into a PictureBox and using the
> StretchBlt API to display the PictureBox within the
> containing PictureBox. This seems to work well on most
> machines.

> Some users on Windows 98 Dell laptops are having problems
> seeing some of the bitmaps. They appear "fuzzy" or faded
> some of the time.  However, it's not consistent which
> bitmaps are affected and the clarity of the images changes
> seemingly randomly. Some are sharp and clear while others
> appear faded.

> We have found that lowering the Hardware Acceleration
> seems to fix this problem.  However, our customer is
> against requiring users to do this. I am not familiar at
> all with what changing the Hardware Acceleration really
> does, but I have read other applications suggest changing
> this setting to fix problems (one example is here -
> http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpl07707.
> html)

> Does anyone know if changing the Hardware Acceleration is
> a viable solution do a display problem, or just a cop out
> by a developer because they can't isolate the real
> problem? I know without some code samples its impossible
> to determine for sure if its not in the code, but I first
> wanted to explore the feasibility of a change to Hardware
> Acceleration being a reasonable solution.

> Thanks.

Wed, 04 May 2005 02:45:14 GMT
 Hardware Acceleration and graphics display in the VB PictureBox

Good advice.  Thanks!

Quote:

Wed, 04 May 2005 02:00:27 GMT
 Hardware Acceleration and graphics display in the VB PictureBox

Sorry, one other item...

I'd like some documentation to back up the assertion that
this type of situation is often a problem with the display
driver and not the software. Does anyone know where I
could find this? I was looking around MSDN, but so far, no
luck.

If there are no updated drivers for our tester's machines
and DirectX is updated and we still have the problem, I'm
going to need some "proof" the problem is in the driver.

Thanks again.

Quote:

Wed, 04 May 2005 02:09:30 GMT

1. hardware acceleration...

2. Hardware Acceleration Settings

3. Retained Mode, Textures and Hardware Acceleration

4. Displaying Graphic from Access database in Picturebox Control

5. No hardware vertex processing in picturebox control

6. Displaying an stdole.stdpicture in a picturebox in VB.NET

7. Does anyone know how to disable the video hardware acceleration using VB?

8. Displaying a DIB graphic in VB

9. REQ:displaying Corel graphics on VB

10. Displaying other graphics formats in VB

11. Displaying graphics in VB without OLE

12. Displaying Graphics in VB