Euler Rotation
Author Message
 Euler Rotation

I've been getting such good help here so far that I thought I'd try again.
Does anyone have any information they'd like to share on rotating a point
(x,y) in 3d around a point?

So say I've got a 20x20 bitmap, right?  And it's filled with transparent
pixels.  Now, I've got a line from <5,10> to <15,10> and I want to rotate
the line about it's Y-Axis 40 degrees.  Now, what I'd imagine you'd do is
use GetPixel and loop 0 to 20 (y-axis), 0 to 20 (x-axis) and drop the color
of the point in question into a redim'ed array "arrayBitmap(x_max*ymax)" of
type MyLousyUnimaginativeNewTypeof3dInformation, where:

type MyLousyUnimaginativeNewTypeof3dInformation
    x as double ' integer
    y as double ' integer
    color as long
end type

 and then run that array through a transformation routine that loops through
the array, grabs the x & y coordinates & using sin, cos, pi, 180 and other
stuff and determines a new <x2, y2, z2> which is <x,y> rotated about
<x_org,y_org>.  I'd imagine x_org & y_org would be x/2 and y/2 but I'm not
100% on that.

If you're wondering where I grabbed the subject line from I did some
research on Google to try and find some good information but either my
search skills really suck or there isn't anything more than just sites
containing indexes to books you can order on the subject or sites with just
definitions.

I look forward to finding out the answer to this one.

Sam Shults

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:16:22 GMT
 Euler Rotation

Quote:
>I've been getting such good help here so far that I thought I'd try again.
>Does anyone have any information they'd like to share on rotating a point
>(x,y) in 3d around a point?

You'll find this in "Visual Basic Graphics Programming" by Rod Stephens.

--
Richard Mason

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:24:22 GMT

1. Loop for Euler's method - finding the lowest common denominator

2. Euler or Runge-kutta

3. Kutta-Merson or Euler integrators in Visual Basic

4. Matrix rotation

5. Text Block rotation in a line.

6. Tracking shape position and rotation WHILE moving

7. Table Rotation

8. Image Rotation

9. getting the region of a usercontrol ? (for rotation)

10. page rotation

11. 3D Rotation Points

12. 3d rotation's