jpg files to avi
Author Message
 jpg files to avi

I've been out looking and found a number of tools to add a set of jpg files
to create an avi, but the client REALLY wants to incorporate it into our
existing code.  I've been through Ray Mercer's AVIFile Tutorial, and while
helpful, it wasn't quite what I needed (although it was VERY informative.)

I would appreciate code samples, OCX or other toolsets for gratis, share or
sale.

Thanks

Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:45:17 GMT
 jpg files to avi

Quote:
> I've been out looking and found a number of tools to add a set of jpg
files
> to create an avi, but the client REALLY wants to incorporate it into our
> existing code.  I've been through Ray Mercer's AVIFile Tutorial, and while
> helpful, it wasn't quite what I needed (although it was VERY informative.)

> I would appreciate code samples, OCX or other toolsets for gratis, share
or
> sale.

It should be exactly what you need as long as I'm reading your question
correctly, perhaps emphasise where it's not adequate and we'll try and help
with those area's.

    Mike

 -- EDais --

 - Microsoft Visual Basic MVP -
WWW: Http://EDais.earlsoft.co.uk/

Mon, 22 Nov 2004 01:06:00 GMT
 jpg files to avi

Quote:
> I guess I don't know the difference between the structure
> of a bitmap and a JPEG file, so I am not sure how to modify
> the sample code to remove the bitmap processing and introduce
> the jpg handling.

The internal structure of the two files types are very different however you
don't really need to worry about their structure as long as you can get them
into a standard format (And preferably one that AVI supports too.) It just
so happens that there is such a format, that being the Windows Bitmap format
or internally known as a DIB (Device independent Bitmap).
Since this is the (Pretty much) agreed common format for images, both JPEG
and AVI can use it (Of course a BMP file is already a bitmap, the only
difference being that it has an extra 14-byte file header)

Quote:
> I get the opening, closing, and processing
> of the AVI, but I'm just not sure how to handle the .jpg file
> processing.
> Sorry, one more thing. I did look out at Intel for the JPEG
> library stuff, but must be an idiot because I was not able to
> navigate down to get to information about how to handle them.

The IJL would most likely be the way to go (Just have a look at the demo VB
project that comes with the library for an example of how to use it) since
it can convert a JPEG to a DIB.
From there, Ray's code will take the DIB data and feed that into the
compressor then out into an AVI file.
Have a play and if you have any problems them post back on the newsgroup and
we'll try and give you assistance in solving it.
Hope this helps,

    Mike

P.s. Please keep follow-ups on the newsgroup so everyone can benefit,
Cheers. I've carbon-copied this to the group.

 -- EDais --

 - Microsoft Visual Basic MVP -
WWW: Http://EDais.earlsoft.co.uk/

Mon, 22 Nov 2004 03:41:13 GMT
 jpg files to avi
Thanks for all the help.  I was able to get some code to convert the .JPG
files to a Bitmap, then use Ray's code to get them into an .AVI file.  I can
then view them with Windows Media Player with no problems.

However, when I try to use some of the "quick & dirty" AVI viewers out there
in code snippet land, I cannot see these AVI files that I created.  Almost
all of the viewer software WILL sho the \WINNT\Clock.avi file, but none will
show mine.

I really would like to incorporate some kind of AVI view pane on my app.

Quote:
> > I guess I don't know the difference between the structure
> > of a bitmap and a JPEG file, so I am not sure how to modify
> > the sample code to remove the bitmap processing and introduce
> > the jpg handling.

> The internal structure of the two files types are very different however
you
> don't really need to worry about their structure as long as you can get
them
> into a standard format (And preferably one that AVI supports too.) It just
> so happens that there is such a format, that being the Windows Bitmap
format
> or internally known as a DIB (Device independent Bitmap).
> Since this is the (Pretty much) agreed common format for images, both JPEG
> and AVI can use it (Of course a BMP file is already a bitmap, the only
> difference being that it has an extra 14-byte file header)

> > I get the opening, closing, and processing
> > of the AVI, but I'm just not sure how to handle the .jpg file
> > processing.
> > Sorry, one more thing. I did look out at Intel for the JPEG
> > library stuff, but must be an idiot because I was not able to
> > navigate down to get to information about how to handle them.

> The IJL would most likely be the way to go (Just have a look at the demo
VB
> project that comes with the library for an example of how to use it) since
> it can convert a JPEG to a DIB.
> From there, Ray's code will take the DIB data and feed that into the
> compressor then out into an AVI file.
> Have a play and if you have any problems them post back on the newsgroup
and
> we'll try and give you assistance in solving it.
> Hope this helps,

>     Mike

> P.s. Please keep follow-ups on the newsgroup so everyone can benefit,
> Cheers. I've carbon-copied this to the group.

>  -- EDais --

>  - Microsoft Visual Basic MVP -
> WWW: Http://EDais.earlsoft.co.uk/

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 01:55:06 GMT
 jpg files to avi

Quote:
> Thanks for all the help.  I was able to get some code to convert the .JPG
> files to a Bitmap, then use Ray's code to get them into an .AVI file.  I
can
> then view them with Windows Media Player with no problems.

> However, when I try to use some of the "quick & dirty" AVI viewers out
there
> in code snippet land, I cannot see these AVI files that I created.  Almost
> all of the viewer software WILL sho the \WINNT\Clock.avi file, but none
will
> show mine.

> I really would like to incorporate some kind of AVI view pane on my app.

Again, Ray's site should have all you need here, and if nothing else you can
always drop a Media player control onto the form.
Hope this helps,

    Mike

 -- EDais --

 - Microsoft Visual Basic MVP -
WWW: Http://EDais.earlsoft.co.uk/

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 02:49:05 GMT

1. Looking for tool to make AVI files from JPG stills

2. converting jpg, bmp, etc. to avi or mpeg

3. Looking for an Jpg 2 AVI

4. JPG to AVI

5. JPG to AVI or WAV convert control

6. AVI to JPG Converter

7. Using an AVI file in a project (AVI API Call)

8. AVI File in application - 5.avi (0/1)

9. convert graphic type formats EPS to JPG, PCX to JPG, TIFF to JPG, etc

10. All my JPG files have become VBS files!

11. all jpg files converted to .vbs files

12. All my JPG files have become VBS files!