How to find files as fast as possible
Author Message
 How to find files as fast as possible

Quote:
> What is the fastest way to find specified files in all subdirectories of
> disk with VB 4.0?

Check out the VB 4.0 WINSEEK sample code.

Regards,
--
Tony Jones - Queensland, Australia - ICQ UIN 209530

Visit: Southern Cross Visual Basic Code and Links
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 27 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 How to find files as fast as possible

On 6 Mar 1997 20:20:08 GMT, "Hinrich Dreiling"

Quote:

>Hi!
>What is the fastest way to find specified files in all subdirectories of a
>disk with VB 4.0?

In short, API :) I've developed code using both the controls that come
with VB (using the samples, I must admit), using built-in functions in
VB (Dir$, GetAttr) and API-functions (FindFirstFile, FindNextFile,
etc).

The API-based solution takes about 15 seconds to find all 8576 files
and directories on my harddisk, placing information about all
directories into a treeview-style control (with nested folders), and
it also changes the caption of a label-control to tell the user what
the program is doing (what directory is currently being searched).

Hope this sheds some light,

Trond Solberg
Systems Consultant
Mandatum as
----

http://www.mandatum.no

Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. How does Explorer find UNC files so fast?

2. Hello Plz I want to help as fast as possible Visual Basic

3. VB4 - Is it possible to fast forward thur CD

4. Wanted Some Info - AS FAST AS POSSIBLE

5. Fastest bitmap update as possible

6. JPEG to array, the fastest way possible

7. Find Fast Question

8. Fast BASIC compiler found!

9. Seek/Search/Find something real FAST--Help!?!

10. How to find record fast?

11. Fastest way to find a maximum in an array

12. Fastest way to find min and max