Speed of drawing using api/VB
Author Message
 Speed of drawing using api/VB

I've recently been doing some experiments with timing graphics commands
using both VB's line, circle and pset commands, and their api equivalents.
unsurprsingly the api's were faster. (cos no coordinate conversion)

However, when I set the autoredraw property of the picturebox I was
drawing to to true, I discovered something interesting.

As the drawing was being done to a DC that wasn't on screen the
acceleration of my graphics card couldn't be used, so things slowed down.
With one exception VB's LINE(x1,y1)-(x2,y2),col,BF (equivalent to API
RECTANGLE) was faster!!!!

This must mean that VB does not directly usew the API to draw rectangles,
and that it probably does not take advantage of hardware acceleration.

any comments/explanations?

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Text Drawing Speed using WinAPI

2. Changing mouse scroll speed using API or such.

3. Persistent Drawing using the API

4. Draw a line using Windows Api

5. VB 3.0 speed vs. VB 4.0 speed

6. Drawing Graphics on screen and printer using api's

7. Drawing Graphics on screen and printer using api's

8. Drawing Regions using API

9. API or VB for line drawing ?

10. Speed Comparison Post #1 of 2 (Was Fast Drawing)

11. Speed Comparison Post #2 of 2 - quite large (Was Fast Drawing)

12. Speeding up Drawing