How to Shutdown [and restart] Windows 95 / NT ?
Author Message
 How to Shutdown [and restart] Windows 95 / NT ?

I have a problem with the ExitWindowsEx API.

I'm kinda new to this so excuse me if you find something below that
might look like a dumb thing to do :)

I want to shutdown and i some cases reboot my system automatically
in a scheduled event.

I'm using Windows 95 (Version 4.00.950 B) but i want this to work
on Windows NT 4.0 also.

The ExitWindowsEx API is declared as followed :

Declare Function ExitWindowsEx& Lib "user32" (Byval uFlags As Long, ByVal
dwreserved As Long)

uFlags is type Long and you should use the OR operator when using combined
flags :
-----------------------------------

EWX_FORCE                       Forcibly terminates processes that do not respond
EWX_LOGOFF              Terminates processes, then logs off
EWX_SHUTDOWN            Shuts the system down
EWX_REBOOT              Reboots the system

My syntax is a followed :
-------------------------------

ExitWindowsEx EWX_LOGOFF, 0

The above works and Windows logs off, but Windows also logs off
 if i use the EWX_SHUTDOWN or the EWX_REBOOT flag.

So basically, no matter what type of flag i use, Windows
simply logs off and that's it !

Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong ?!

If so, suppose i want to shutdown and reboot my system,
what should my syntax be like ?

Something like this ? :

ExitWindowsEx EWX_FORCE Or EWX_SHUTDOWN Or EWX_REBOOT, 0

What if users are connected to my system over a network (and use files
located
on my hardisk) ???
Normally you get a message like "There are 2 users connected with 4 open
files, do
you really want to shutdown ?".

Any help is welcome.

Thanks !

Jan
Belgium

Thu, 08 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 How to Shutdown [and restart] Windows 95 / NT ?

I'm having the same problem. There is an article on MSDN (Q149690) that
says using EWX_FORCE and EWX_LOGOFF together results in undefined behavior.
I'm also using the B version of Windows 95 and haven't tried this under an
earlier release.

Tue, 13 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to Shutdown [and restart] Windows 95 / NT ?

2. How to Shutdown [and restart] Windows 95 / NT ?

3. Shutdown and Restart Windows 95 and NT for VB Script

4. shutdown windows nt worstation or windows 95/98

5. *Help* restarting Windows 95/NT

6. Restarting an NT Server from a Win 95 Client

7. Restarting Windows 95 from a VB App.

8. Restarting Windows 95???

9. Restart Windows 95 from VB

10. Restarting Windows 95 (And Closing all apps automatically)

11. Restarting Windows 3.1, 95?

12. Windows 95 Restart GUI