News reading
Author Message
 News reading

I am writing a knowledge base application, and I would like to include a
newsgroup reader so that messages from selected newsgroups are automatically
added to the database.

Can anybody offer suggestions, or directions on where to obtain source tips
on how to read newsgroups?

Best regards,
Edgard L. Riba

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 News reading
Hi,

Ah, don't forget about the existing VB KB located at

        ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/vb/kb

I keep a copy of the Index.txt file on my hard drive. When
I want to search the KB, I have a script that applys a RegExp
to this Index file, then writes a web page with links to the articles that
come up in the search.

I can get an idea of whats available while off line.

As far as using Newsgroup articles in your DB, well the signal
to noise ratio is rather high IMHO. If you went through all the posts
and filtered for the Gurus...
        Brad Martinez
        Bill McCarthy
        Beezo  aka Mattias
        TheScarms
        Edward Morcillo
        Joe Morris
        Randy Birch
        Neila Nessa
        apologies to those I left out

you might get something valuable.

A good KB will should be a guide to existing sources , rather than a
collection of new content. There is plenty of content out there.

==
    LiL Endian

Quote:

>I am writing a knowledge base application, and I would like to include a
>newsgroup reader so that messages from selected newsgroups are
automatically
>added to the database.

>Can anybody offer suggestions, or directions on where to obtain source tips
>on how to read newsgroups?

>Best regards,
>Edgard L. Riba

Tue, 19 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 News reading
Hi LiL Endian,

Thanks for the info.   Sadly there weren't any examples in the VB KB on how
to read newsgroups.  I'll keep searching.

Best regards,
Edgard

Wed, 20 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 News reading
Hi,

Take a look at the NNTP control from Mabry Software (download from
www.mabry.com).

--
Richard Grier
Hard & Software

Fri, 22 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 News reading
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the tip.  I downloaded the controls and will evaluate them to see
if they work for me.

Best regards,
Edgard L. Riba

Quote:
> Hi,

> Take a look at the NNTP control from Mabry Software (download from
> www.mabry.com).

> --
> Richard Grier
> Hard & Software
> 12962 West Louisiana Avenue
> Lakewood, CO  80228
> 303-986-2179 (voice)
> 303-986-3143 (fax)
> Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 2nd
> Edition (355 pages).
> For information look on my homepage at http://www.hardandsoftware.net.
> Use the Books link to order.  For faster service contact the publisher at
> http://www.mabry.com.

Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. NEWS * NEWS * NEWS

2. NEWS * NEWS * NEWS

3. NEWS * NEWS * NEWS

4. Path: news.minn.net!news-out.visi.com!visi.com!news.maxwell.syr.edu!worldnet.att.net!feed1.news

5. Reading the Mail-box (and/or News) from within VB5

6. help with reading news groups...

7. Reading the news

8. New VB News Letter (Read For More Info)

9. VB3 Binary FILES READ READ READ

10. ADO .Open problem (posted on general news too)

11. News Release!

12. Anyone Know of an H-1B news group?