Can I read a disk sector with VB?
Author Message
 Can I read a disk sector with VB?

Hi Folks

I'm trying to write a routine that will produce a reference or serial
number for a CDRom that gives the same result in Win9x, NT4 and Win2k.
I've tried all sorts of things but I can't find one that works for all
OS's. My latest idea is to read a selection of locations directly from
the CD, this *should* give the same result in any OS. The only problem
is I don't know if it can be done in VB (Ver 5, SP3).
Can anyone point me in a suitable direction, or if anyone has solved
this particular dilemma, a hint would be fine.

TIA
Dave.

Fri, 03 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Can I read a disk sector with VB?

> Can anyone point me in a suitable direction, or if anyone has solved
> this particular dilemma, a hint would be fine.

Direct disc reading is in fact possible, but with pure VB code this only
seems to work on Windows NT/2000. A sample program can be found at:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/vbfrood/english/projects/drvread.htm
In Win95/98 you'll have to assemble, I guess.

Thomas

VB Frood - Maximum Coolness for Visual Basic.
http://www.vbfrood.de

Sat, 04 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. read/write directly disk sectors.

2. READ DISK SECTOR

3. READ DISK SECTOR

4. VBH6: read sector by seector from Hard Disk

5. Reading Physical Sectors and Tracks of Disks

6. Reading Physical Disk Tracks and Sectors

7. Reading and writing disk sectors.

8. How do I Read/Write BOOT SECTOR in VB 4.0

9. Disk Sectors.

10. ABF) Writing to a specific sector on a disk

11. Writing to floppy disk boot sector - how ?

12. Get File Disk Sector info