Software Hang when called DLL hangs
Author Message
 Software Hang when called DLL hangs

This is probably a simple problem but I cant seem to get a handle on it.
When I call a DLL and that DLL hits a hang condition, my VB software
gets hung. Is there a way to timeout on a DLL call so I dont get hung?

Thanks in advance
Pat

Fri, 01 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Software Hang when called DLL hangs

The reason your software hangs when the DLL call hangs is that DLLs are what
are refered to as 'in process'.  In a nut shell this means that when your
software makes the DLL call, the operating system takes all of your
software's processor time and hands it over to the DLL function you called.
To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to get that processor time
back.

--

Tony Selke

(please remove the _No-Junk-Mail_ prior to responding)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Quote:

>This is probably a simple problem but I cant seem to get a handle on it.
>When I call a DLL and that DLL hits a hang condition, my VB software
>gets hung. Is there a way to timeout on a DLL call so I dont get hung?

>Thanks in advance
>Pat

Fri, 01 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Software Hang when called DLL hangs

Tony,
    This probobly isn't the best way to go about it, but it might work.
    Try enabling a timer that calls the dll, then enable another timer with an
interval set to the amount of time that you wish to wait for the dll to
respond.  At the end of the first timer (after the dll responded) just disable
the second timer (so that it wont time-out).
    Hope this helps.
        -- JIM

Quote:

> The reason your software hangs when the DLL call hangs is that DLLs are what
> are refered to as 'in process'.  In a nut shell this means that when your
> software makes the DLL call, the operating system takes all of your
> software's processor time and hands it over to the DLL function you called.
> To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to get that processor time
> back.

> --

> Tony Selke

> (please remove the _No-Junk-Mail_ prior to responding)

> /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

> >This is probably a simple problem but I cant seem to get a handle on it.
> >When I call a DLL and that DLL hits a hang condition, my VB software
> >gets hung. Is there a way to timeout on a DLL call so I dont get hung?

> >Thanks in advance
> >Pat

Mon, 04 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. I bet no one knows why JNI call to a Jet/DAO DLL hangs

2. multithreaded DLL hangs when called from VB5 ??

3. Outlook 97 hangs after called from vba

4. Delete Hang Up at second call

5. hanging up on incoming calls

6. COM hangs when calling from ASP

7. COM hangs when called from vbscript in asp page

8. Delete Hang Up at second call

9. ActiveX DLL causing application to hang.

10. ActiveX DLL and program hanging...

11. activeX-dll hangs with 99% cpu-time

12. activeX-dll hangs with 99% cpu-time