Common Dialog - Select a folder?
Author Message
 Common Dialog - Select a folder?

Is there an API call to bring up a Common Dialog form similar to the
Open/Save dialog that allows only a folder selection (not a file)?

--
Gordon Durnell
Applied Digital Solutions of Missouri

Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog - Select a folder?
You need the Browse Dialog....

See:

Pre-selecting a Folder using the Browse Callback
http://mvps.org/vbnet/code/callback/browsecallback.htm

Quote:
> Is there an API call to bring up a Common Dialog form similar to the
> Open/Save dialog that allows only a folder selection (not a file)?

> --
> Gordon Durnell
> Applied Digital Solutions of Missouri

Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog - Select a folder?
And don't forget ccrp ! right around that same vicinity ;-)
Neila
Quote:

>You need the Browse Dialog....

>See:

>Pre-selecting a Folder using the Browse Callback
>http://mvps.org/vbnet/code/callback/browsecallback.htm

>> Is there an API call to bring up a Common Dialog form similar to the
>> Open/Save dialog that allows only a folder selection (not a file)?

>> --
>> Gordon Durnell
>> Applied Digital Solutions of Missouri

Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog - Select a folder?
Neila,

What is ccrp?

Jamie

--

http://www1.minn.net/~jdelton
Home of the Winwriter and the Winwriter sdk (Open Source) the world's first

Quote:

>And don't forget ccrp ! right around that same vicinity ;-)
>Neila

>>You need the Browse Dialog....

>>See:

>>Pre-selecting a Folder using the Browse Callback
>>http://mvps.org/vbnet/code/callback/browsecallback.htm

>>> Is there an API call to bring up a Common Dialog form similar to the
>>> Open/Save dialog that allows only a folder selection (not a file)?

>>> --
>>> Gordon Durnell
>>> Applied Digital Solutions of Missouri

Wed, 20 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog - Select a folder?
check out http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/ .. you won't be disappointed :-)

--

Randy Birch, MVP Visual Basic

http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/
http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/

Please correspond only using the newsgroups so all can benefit.

| Neila,
|
| What is ccrp?
|

| Jamie
|

| --

| http://www1.minn.net/~jdelton
| Home of the Winwriter and the Winwriter sdk (Open Source) the world's
first
| transparent font utility
|
| >And don't forget ccrp ! right around that same vicinity ;-)
| >Neila

Wed, 20 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog - Select a folder?
Jamie, take a look at http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/

--

Regards, Paul.

www.gooch.co.uk

Quote:
> Neila,

> What is ccrp?

> Jamie

> --

> http://www1.minn.net/~jdelton
> Home of the Winwriter and the Winwriter sdk (Open Source) the world's
first
> transparent font utility

> >And don't forget ccrp ! right around that same vicinity ;-)
> >Neila

> >>You need the Browse Dialog....

> >>See:

> >>Pre-selecting a Folder using the Browse Callback
> >>http://mvps.org/vbnet/code/callback/browsecallback.htm

Wed, 20 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog - Select a folder?
I have noticed the repeated references to the ccrp project and have a few comments:

1. The project provides no committment to support the controls in the future.

2. There is no committment to even support and fix the current versions.

3. The source code is not available so anyone using them is at the mercy of the author's willingness
to help.

This is not an open source project.

While the controls are usefull for someone building applications for home use or a class project
they should not be used in any corporate or commercial software.  (I suspect that use in most
corporate environments would be a firing offense anyway.)

Stu

Quote:

>check out http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/ .. you won't be disappointed :-)

Fri, 22 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog - Select a folder?
Hi Stewart,

Quote:
> I have noticed the repeated references to the ccrp project and have a few
comments:

> 1. The project provides no committment to support the controls in the
future.

> 2. There is no committment to even support and fix the current versions.

Where did you get either of these statements from? From our main page, under
"Support Options", we state the following:

"The CCRP team is anxious to provide all the support you might require in
order to get the most out of our controls and utilities. And to do this we
offer several support options.

Our primary support mechanism are the CCRP Newsgroups, which can be accessed
by following the login instructions below. In addition, we're creating and
updating on-line help for all the controls, and adding Control FAQs and
related topics and CCRP Knowledge Base articles where warranted. Please
check these first to see if your question has been already addressed.

To stay up to date on control releases and issues that may affect
performance, be sure to subscribe to our emailed newsletters via the
Announcements list page.

But if you don't get the answer to your control support question in the
newsgroups, knowledge base or FAQs, then feel free to email directly the
control's lead developer. The addresses are provided on the sidebar here, as
well as on each control's information page."

Further, take a look at some of the controls that have been available for a
year or more (i.e. the Progress Bar) and you'll see quite a long revision
history. I'm not sure what further commitment we can offer - all the group
members are only human of course but we all do our best to support the
controls and answer questions both in the newsgroups and by email. I
personally get anywhere from 1-10 emails per day with questions about my
controls and they all get answered as best I can.

 > 3. The source code is not available so anyone using them is at the mercy
of the author's willingness

Quote:
> to help.

The source code to many commercial controls is not available or is
prohibitively expensive for many people and hence you are also at their
mercy for help. Even if you do have the source code available, it doesn't
guarantee that it'll help - the only person who truly knows the code inside
out and is therefore in the best position to help is the original author of
the code.

Quote:
> This is not an open source project.

Despite it being 'fashionable', we do not believe that it is the best model
for our project for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
> While the controls are usefull for someone building applications for home

use or a class project

Quote:
> they should not be used in any corporate or commercial software.

That's your opinion. Bottom line is that since they are free, it costs
nothing to try them out and if they work for you in their current version,
why should they not work in the future? If you don't want to use them, then
don't - it makes no difference to the CCRP members if you choose not to use
them. FWIW, we have had various emails and information passed to use via our
registration process that people do find the controls useful in home apps
and also in commercial software so some people out there do find what we're
doing useful and that's good enough for us.

Quote:
> (I suspect that use in most corporate environments would be a firing

offense anyway.)

We appreciate that use of the controls in corporate environments is a
different ball game to the use of the controls in other environments. We've
discussed it many times, long and hard and basically the only way to rectify
that situation would be to become a fully fledged company and target the
controls at the corporate environment. But nobody in the group is really
interested in going that route at present - the project started as a hobby
with the aim of providing benefit to the VB community and that's still the
direction that we are taking.

Having heard you're criticisms of the project and our response, we'd be
interested to hear what you'd suggest doing to improve the project in the
light of your criticisms. Providing source code is not going to happen -
we've discussed it so many times and each time the conclusion is the same.
Apart from this, what else would you change?

Regards,

Jeremy

Sat, 23 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog - Select a folder?
In addition to what Jeremy has stated, you may want to take a (second) look
at http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/devinfo/vb6migrate/vb6resultchart.htm

At the release of VB6, we asked all users to let us know their future
development plans. Our goal was to determine how seriously both corporate
and personal developers were in making the migration to the newer tool. Our
user's direction would dictate the direction we also took.

At that time, of the corporate developers responding, 29% stated they use
CCRP controls in corporate applications, and 84% stated that there was no
reluctance on their part to implement them if they suited the required task.

The full results of the survey are available at the above link.

--

Randy Birch, MVP Visual Basic

http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/
http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/

Please correspond only using the newsgroups so all can benefit.

| I have noticed the repeated references to the ccrp project and have a few
comments:

| 1. The project provides no committment to support the controls in the
future.

| 2. There is no committment to even support and fix the current versions.
|
| 3. The source code is not available so anyone using them is at the mercy
of the author's willingness
| to help.
|
| This is not an open source project.
|
| While the controls are usefull for someone building applications for home
use or a class project
| they should not be used in any corporate or commercial software.  (I
suspect that use in most
| corporate environments would be a firing offense anyway.)
|
| Stu
|

| >check out http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/ .. you won't be disappointed :-)

Sat, 23 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog - Select a folder?
Stu,

1. We do use the CCRP controls in commercial software because they are
better supported than most of the commercial tools out there.

2. If there are any problems with the controls, help is provided within the
corresponding NG within one day (if possible).

3. It would sure be interesting to have a look at the sourcecode, but I
can't see any use in having it. It would take us days to _correct_ something
we believe is an error (and then might cause other problems) while they
could do it within minutes.

I can see the use of open source for Linux or Windows, but I can't see any
advantage for _a_bunch_of_controls_.

If you don't find the controls to be usefull for corporate or commercial
software, wait until you need to implement similar functionallity, and then
code it yourself.
These controls are free, but your time is not (supposing you're not doing it
in your spare time).

To the folks of CCRP: Keep up the good work !!!

--
Hope this helps ...

Rene Whitworth
Whitworth Software Solutions - Germany
http://www.w-s-s.de
Please reply to the newsgroup :-)

Quote:
> I have noticed the repeated references to the ccrp project and have a few
comments:

> 1. The project provides no committment to support the controls in the
future.

> 2. There is no committment to even support and fix the current versions.

> 3. The source code is not available so anyone using them is at the mercy

of the author's willingness
Quote:
> to help.

> This is not an open source project.

> While the controls are usefull for someone building applications for home

use or a class project
Quote:
> they should not be used in any corporate or commercial software.  (I

suspect that use in most
Quote:
> corporate environments would be a firing offense anyway.)

> Stu

> >check out http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/ .. you won't be disappointed :-)

Sat, 23 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog - Select a folder?

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog - Select a folder?
Quote:
> I have noticed the repeated references to the ccrp project and have a few

comments:
<snip>
Quote:
> While the controls are usefull for someone building applications for home

use or a class project
Quote:
> they should not be used in any corporate or commercial software.  (I

suspect that use in most

Quote:
> corporate environments would be a firing offense anyway.)

I too applaud the efforts of the CCRP programmers, but Stewart is right. The
decision to add any pre-compiled code to a project is usually a big one.
Even my very un-corporate-like small company generally will not allow "free"
controls because there is no (perceived) incentive for the author to
continue to support them. The CCRP controls get a second strike for needing
a VB runtime which may not be the same as the VB we're using at the time.
The final strike is that they don't provide an order of magnitude
improvement over the standard controls and a few API calls, or generally
available C++ code. CCRP is a neat, "see we can do this in VB" thing but
like Stewart I can't see them used much in a corporate environment or at all
in a commercial one.

Sat, 23 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog - Select a folder?

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT

 [ 28 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Using Common Dialog control, possible to select folders and their associated files

2. Common select folder dialog?

3. Common dialog for folder select

4. Common Dialog OCX to select folder?

5. select a folder using Common Dialog

6. Folder Open Dialog - How to pre-select folder

7. common dialog to browse for folders

8. Folder Selection for Common Dialog?

9. Common Dialog (get folder only)?

10. Q: Folder-only Common Dialog?

11. Making EXE Display a Different folder In a Common Dialog

12. Common dialog default folder