Getting user names of the same domain. 
Author Message
 Getting user names of the same domain.

Hi, is it possible for a client PC (runs Windows NT/2000) to retrieve
other users' login IDs in the same domain? TIA!


Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:14:19 GMT  
 Getting user names of the same domain.
yes.



Quote:
> Hi, is it possible for a client PC (runs Windows NT/2000) to retrieve
> other users' login IDs in the same domain? TIA!



Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:57:18 GMT  
 Getting user names of the same domain.
look at the NetUserEnum api, just in case you also want to know how to do it
:)



Quote:
> yes.



> > Hi, is it possible for a client PC (runs Windows NT/2000) to retrieve
> > other users' login IDs in the same domain? TIA!



Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:58:13 GMT  
 Getting user names of the same domain.
Hell you can retrieve logon ID's for user's in other domains too if you want
and the domain hasn't shut down anonymous access completely. Go to my
www.joeware.net site and go to the c++ win32 tools and download either
getuserinfo or userdump, then use your scheduler service to start up a
localsystem context window or net use to a domain controller or machine
somewhere with null credentials. Now do one of the following depending on
which tool you grabbed.

getuserinfo

    getuserinfo \\servername\.

userdump

    userdump servername

You should get a dump of all user's there. Further if you want more detailed
info about a specific ID, do getuserinfo \\servername\userid though userdump
will dump all the key security info in tab delimited format.

I recently was exchanging email with a friend and it started going slow, I
decided to check out the mail server of the company she worked for. I got
the MX record and then determined the machine was running exchange via POP3
header, I then tested getuserinfo against it and it retrieved the user list
(very short because the server was just a transfer point) and then when I
grabbed more detailed info I saw that the administrator password hadn't been
changed in 2 years and then out of curiosity I tested it and it was the
default password.....

So yes, you can retrieve other userid info...

 joe

---
Joe Richards

Opinions expressed are, as always, Joe's and probably insulting to someone
somewhere so just relax. =)
http://www.joeware.net


Quote:
> Hi, is it possible for a client PC (runs Windows NT/2000) to retrieve
> other users' login IDs in the same domain? TIA!



Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:31:54 GMT  
 Getting user names of the same domain.

Quote:
> I recently was exchanging email with a friend and it started going slow, I
> decided to check out the mail server of the company she worked for. I got
> the MX record and then determined the machine was running exchange via
POP3
> header, I then tested getuserinfo against it and it retrieved the user
list
> (very short because the server was just a transfer point) and then when I
> grabbed more detailed info I saw that the administrator password hadn't
been
> changed in 2 years and then out of curiosity I tested it and it was the
> default password.....

If she was truly a friend, I assume you suggested to her that they might
want to tighten up their security a bit? Thats a pretty huge hole!

--
MichKa

the only book on internationalization in VB at
http://www.i18nWithVB.com/



Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:00:44 GMT  
 Getting user names of the same domain.
I wrote up a nice professional report for them with enough scary info to
scare their IS Manager into spending some money on some firewall software
and allocate time to lock the server down. Though writing that report up had
nothing to do with my friendship with her but with my sense of self. It
isn't her company, it won't hurt her if they blew up the mail bridgehead, I
just wouldn't be able to send and receive mail from her for a bit... ;p

--
---
Joe Richards

Opinions expressed are, as always, Joe's and probably insulting to someone
somewhere so just relax. =)
http://www.joeware.net



Quote:


> > I recently was exchanging email with a friend and it started going slow,
I
> > decided to check out the mail server of the company she worked for. I
got
> > the MX record and then determined the machine was running exchange via
> POP3
> > header, I then tested getuserinfo against it and it retrieved the user
> list
> > (very short because the server was just a transfer point) and then when
I
> > grabbed more detailed info I saw that the administrator password hadn't
> been
> > changed in 2 years and then out of curiosity I tested it and it was the
> > default password.....

> If she was truly a friend, I assume you suggested to her that they might
> want to tighten up their security a bit? Thats a pretty huge hole!

> --
> MichKa

> the only book on internationalization in VB at
> http://www.i18nWithVB.com/



Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:11:28 GMT  
 Getting user names of the same domain.
That sounds like a good plan. :-)

--
MichKa

the only book on internationalization in VB at
http://www.i18nWithVB.com/


Quote:
> I wrote up a nice professional report for them with enough scary info to
> scare their IS Manager into spending some money on some firewall software
> and allocate time to lock the server down. Though writing that report up
had
> nothing to do with my friendship with her but with my sense of self. It
> isn't her company, it won't hurt her if they blew up the mail bridgehead,
I
> just wouldn't be able to send and receive mail from her for a bit... ;p

> --
> ---
> Joe Richards

> Opinions expressed are, as always, Joe's and probably insulting to someone
> somewhere so just relax. =)
> http://www.joeware.net


wrote



> > > I recently was exchanging email with a friend and it started going
slow,
> I
> > > decided to check out the mail server of the company she worked for. I
> got
> > > the MX record and then determined the machine was running exchange via
> > POP3
> > > header, I then tested getuserinfo against it and it retrieved the user
> > list
> > > (very short because the server was just a transfer point) and then
when
> I
> > > grabbed more detailed info I saw that the administrator password
hadn't
> > been
> > > changed in 2 years and then out of curiosity I tested it and it was
the
> > > default password.....

> > If she was truly a friend, I assume you suggested to her that they might
> > want to tighten up their security a bit? Thats a pretty huge hole!

> > --
> > MichKa

> > the only book on internationalization in VB at
> > http://www.i18nWithVB.com/



Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:20:24 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Getting user names on NT domain

2. Getting The Full Domain User Name In Win95

3. Getting domain name of parent domain

4. Getting name from Domain Name Server in VB?

5. Getting full list of Domain Users is not working properly - some users missing

6. Current Domain User Name of logged in user?

7. getting users name and workstation name Urgent

8. Getting the user's logon name and computer name

9. Getting the User Group name using Current User Function

10. Getting the Domain Name

11. Getting Domain name

12. Getting the NETBIOS name of a DNS-style domain

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software