HELP: Using FTP (either Wininet API or ITC)
Author Message
 HELP: Using FTP (either Wininet API or ITC)

I'm trying to FTP a text file from my PC to our company AS400.  I can
successfully accomplish this though the DOS FTP command, but have had no
luck using the Internet Transfer Control (ITC) or the Wininet API.

I've tried the VBFTP.exe demo, and that does log in fine and show files out
on the 400, but it won't let me perform a get or put.  The ITC logs in but
doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Any suggestions, or better ways to do this?  Thanks!

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Using FTP (either Wininet API or ITC)
Note that the VBFTP.exe has some bugs in it. For instance, binary and ASCII
file transfer constants are both &H1 (binary should be &H2). But worse, it
would only let me do some file transfer when I logged as a user that ended
up in the root directory (so logging in as root worked, but any user that
had its home directory below root failed) - this is because there is some
problem with path name parsing.
If you fix those problems it works alright, at least for me (with Sun and
AIX hosts). I have no experience with the ITC.

Regards
Willem

Quote:

>I'm trying to FTP a text file from my PC to our company AS400.  I can
>successfully accomplish this though the DOS FTP command, but have had no
>luck using the Internet Transfer Control (ITC) or the Wininet API.

>I've tried the VBFTP.exe demo, and that does log in fine and show files out
>on the 400, but it won't let me perform a get or put.  The ITC logs in but
>doesn't seem to do anything at all.

>Any suggestions, or better ways to do this?  Thanks!

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Using FTP (either Wininet API or ITC)
Well, after some more playing around with the ITC, I did get it to work.
The only problem with it still, is that I'm having trouble changing
libraries (directories) and executing the Get method all in the same
process.  Any ideas?

Quote:
> I'm trying to FTP a text file from my PC to our company AS400.  I can
> successfully accomplish this though the DOS FTP command, but have had no
> luck using the Internet Transfer Control (ITC) or the Wininet API.

> I've tried the VBFTP.exe demo, and that does log in fine and show files
out
> on the 400, but it won't let me perform a get or put.  The ITC logs in but
> doesn't seem to do anything at all.

> Any suggestions, or better ways to do this?  Thanks!

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Using FTP (either Wininet API or ITC)
Thanks for the info--I'll mess around with it some more and see what
happens.

Quote:
> Note that the VBFTP.exe has some bugs in it. For instance, binary and
ASCII
> file transfer constants are both &H1 (binary should be &H2). But worse, it
> would only let me do some file transfer when I logged as a user that ended
> up in the root directory (so logging in as root worked, but any user that
> had its home directory below root failed) - this is because there is some
> problem with path name parsing.
> If you fix those problems it works alright, at least for me (with Sun and
> AIX hosts). I have no experience with the ITC.

> Regards
> Willem

> >I'm trying to FTP a text file from my PC to our company AS400.  I can
> >successfully accomplish this though the DOS FTP command, but have had no
> >luck using the Internet Transfer Control (ITC) or the Wininet API.

> >I've tried the VBFTP.exe demo, and that does log in fine and show files
out
> >on the 400, but it won't let me perform a get or put.  The ITC logs in
but
> >doesn't seem to do anything at all.

> >Any suggestions, or better ways to do this?  Thanks!

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Using FTP (either Wininet API or ITC)

don't know if this will help but I did this using the Inet and attached this to the form and entered in the correct parameters (like the password,protocol,remoteHost,etc) and then in my code I reference this after I create the file.:

frmProgess.Inet1.Execute , "SEND c:\RTPROD.INP RTPROD.INP"
frmProgess.Inet2.Execute , "SEND c:\DOWN3.GO DOWN3.GO"

Hope that this helps.

-----------------** -- Posted from CodeGuru -- **-----------------
http://www.codeguru.com/vb         The website for VB programmers.

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Using FTP (either Wininet API or ITC)
We do this all the time using Mabry's FTP control, with virtually no
problems.

Quote:
>I'm trying to FTP a text file from my PC to our company AS400.  I can
>successfully accomplish this though the DOS FTP command, but have had no
>luck using the Internet Transfer Control (ITC) or the Wininet API.

>I've tried the VBFTP.exe demo, and that does log in fine and show files out
>on the 400, but it won't let me perform a get or put.  The ITC logs in but
>doesn't seem to do anything at all.

>Any suggestions, or better ways to do this?  Thanks!

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Using FTP (either Wininet API or ITC)

If you're willing to try using an OCX, then we have an FTP control
with a sample STFTP that uses the FTP control to establish a
connection to a specified server, allows user to view remote
directories and download or upload files. This is part of our
commercial SocketTools package. Although the sample isn't written in
Access (it is written in Visual Basic), we do have an Access specific
sample that we could send to you if this one doesn't help you, just

the SocketTools package from our website at http://www.catalyst.com.

David

Quote:
>I'm trying to FTP a text file from my PC to our company AS400.  I can
>successfully accomplish this though the DOS FTP command, but have had no
>luck using the Internet Transfer Control (ITC) or the Wininet API.

>I've tried the VBFTP.exe demo, and that does log in fine and show files out
>on the 400, but it won't let me perform a get or put.  The ITC logs in but
>doesn't seem to do anything at all.

>Any suggestions, or better ways to do this?  Thanks!

----

Catalyst Development Corporation          Web:   http://www.catalyst.com

Wed, 05 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Using FTP (either Wininet API or ITC)
Okay, one more issue with the ITC:  Anybody have trouble with the output of
FTP'd files??  IOW, my files are appearing as garbled text, instead of
normal ascii text, after I FTP the file to or from our site.  Any ideas?

Quote:
> I'm trying to FTP a text file from my PC to our company AS400.  I can
> successfully accomplish this though the DOS FTP command, but have had no
> luck using the Internet Transfer Control (ITC) or the Wininet API.

> I've tried the VBFTP.exe demo, and that does log in fine and show files
out
> on the 400, but it won't let me perform a get or put.  The ITC logs in but
> doesn't seem to do anything at all.

> Any suggestions, or better ways to do this?  Thanks!

Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Using FTP (either Wininet API or ITC)

I'm use the winined.dll in a MVS - FTP server... the 3 examples of
microsoft work good... but in the samples the directory separator
is / an in MVS/AS400 is .

Don't use the internet transfer control... this control open
very iddle conections... my server only allow 20 conections,
and the control use 4-6 ...

Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Using FTP (either Wininet API or ITC)
Winifried,

Might you zipup some of the code that accomplishes this and attach it to a
post in the group?

Regards,

RichardB

--
-=< Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain
consciousness.>=-

the work.

Quote:
> We are using WININET to do FTP (up and down) with no problem!

> --

Mon, 17 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. HELP: Using FTP (either Wininet API or ITC)

2. URGENT - Help, How do start the default INETNET CONNECTION using either Inet or Wininet API call

3. FTP resume possible using WinInet API call?

4. Help: Using Wininet with an FTP Proxy that requires Authentication

5. Get ftp directory listing using ITC

6. Help me figure out the Ftp part of the ITC

7. FTP via WinInet APIs on NT4 + IIS 4: Delay before deleted files disappear

8. wininet FTP api string question

9. Help with using InternetDial from WinInet API

10. Help needed POSTing to SSL server using wininet.dll API calls

11. Help with using InternetDial from WinInet API

12. WinInet API, FTP and callbacks...