Common Dialog And Common Control Classes
Author Message
 Common Dialog And Common Control Classes

Does anyone have any working project examples that contain
classes for accessing both the Common Dialog and Common
controls from the API. Both theses need to be able to function
under Visual Basic 4. So that means no Enum Types, no
Optional as type. ie all Optional variables have to be Varient
plus all the other new additions that I keep finding in many
VB5/6 projects I attempt to convert these days.

While I'm here does anyone know where I can get a cheap
version of VB5, perferably Professional Edition. I think its
about time I upgraded.

Thanks

Matt Beale

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog And Common Control Classes
Matt,

I have some in my site, but they're all designed with/for VB5. I suppose you can
modify them and remove the enums, and I don't think there are any optional
parameters anywhere.
Still working on the others though... TrackBar, StatusBar (nearly completed,
those), Font and Print dialog (about 75% done), some other interesting stuff
here and there...
Might give you a head start, though.

BTW, look in the Code Box section.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Regards,

Klaus H. Probst, MCP

       ICQ: 22454937
      The VB Box: http://members.xoom.com/kprobst/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
> Does anyone have any working project examples that contain
> classes for accessing both the Common Dialog and Common
> controls from the API. Both theses need to be able to function
> under Visual Basic 4. So that means no Enum Types, no
> Optional as type. ie all Optional variables have to be Varient
> plus all the other new additions that I keep finding in many
> VB5/6 projects I attempt to convert these days.

> While I'm here does anyone know where I can get a cheap
> version of VB5, perferably Professional Edition. I think its
> about time I upgraded.

> Thanks

> Matt Beale

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog And Common Control Classes
Thanks, Now how to change those enums. I've always changed the
variables within the Enum to constants then created a type containing
variables to hold the constant values. Is this the correct way to do it?

ie. Public Enum FileDialogModes
        cdlgOpen = 1
        cdlgSave = 2
    End Enum

would become

Public Type FileDialogModes
    cdlgOpen  as Integer
    cdlgSave as Integer
End Type

Then All I needed to remember was to add FileDialogModes.cdlgOpen=1 and
FileDialogModes.cdlgSave=2. If anyone has an easier way, I'm open to
suggestions.

Quote:
> Matt,

> I have some in my site, but they're all designed with/for VB5. I suppose
you can
> modify them and remove the enums, and I don't think there are any optional
> parameters anywhere.
> Still working on the others though... TrackBar, StatusBar (nearly
completed,
> those), Font and Print dialog (about 75% done), some other interesting
stuff
> here and there...
> Might give you a head start, though.

> BTW, look in the Code Box section.

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Regards,

> Klaus H. Probst, MCP

>        ICQ: 22454937
>       The VB Box: http://members.xoom.com/kprobst/
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> > Does anyone have any working project examples that contain
> > classes for accessing both the Common Dialog and Common
> > controls from the API. Both theses need to be able to function
> > under Visual Basic 4. So that means no Enum Types, no
> > Optional as type. ie all Optional variables have to be Varient
> > plus all the other new additions that I keep finding in many
> > VB5/6 projects I attempt to convert these days.

> > While I'm here does anyone know where I can get a cheap
> > version of VB5, perferably Professional Edition. I think its
> > about time I upgraded.

> > Thanks

> > Matt Beale

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog And Common Control Classes
Are enums not just really handy-dandy constant holders? IOW, I would
instead:

| ie. Public Enum FileDialogModes
|         cdlgOpen = 1
|         cdlgSave = 2
|     End Enum

Public Const cdlgOpen = 1
Public Const cdlgSave = 2

Hmm ... my spell checker wants to change Enums to{*filter*}s. Hmmm..
--

Randy Birch, MVP Visual Basic

http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/

| Thanks, Now how to change those enums. I've always changed the
| variables within the Enum to constants then created a type containing
| variables to hold the constant values. Is this the correct way to do it?
|
| ie. Public Enum FileDialogModes
|         cdlgOpen = 1
|         cdlgSave = 2
|     End Enum
|
| would become
|
| Public Type FileDialogModes
|     cdlgOpen  as Integer
|     cdlgSave as Integer
| End Type
|
| Then All I needed to remember was to add FileDialogModes.cdlgOpen=1 and
| FileDialogModes.cdlgSave=2. If anyone has an easier way, I'm open to
| suggestions.
|

| > Matt,
| >
| > I have some in my site, but they're all designed with/for VB5. I suppose
| you can
| > modify them and remove the enums, and I don't think there are any
optional
| > parameters anywhere.
| > Still working on the others though... TrackBar, StatusBar (nearly
| completed,
| > those), Font and Print dialog (about 75% done), some other interesting
| stuff
| > here and there...
| > Might give you a head start, though.
| >
| > BTW, look in the Code Box section.
| >
| > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| > Regards,
| >
| > Klaus H. Probst, MCP

| >        ICQ: 22454937
| >       The VB Box: http://www.*-*-*.com/
| > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| >

| > > Does anyone have any working project examples that contain
| > > classes for accessing both the Common Dialog and Common
| > > controls from the API. Both theses need to be able to function
| > > under Visual Basic 4. So that means no Enum Types, no
| > > Optional as type. ie all Optional variables have to be Varient
| > > plus all the other new additions that I keep finding in many
| > > VB5/6 projects I attempt to convert these days.
| > >
| > > While I'm here does anyone know where I can get a cheap
| > > version of VB5, perferably Professional Edition. I think its
| > > about time I upgraded.
| > >
| > > Thanks
| > >
| > > Matt Beale

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog And Common Control Classes

Quote:
> Hmm ... my spell checker wants to change Enums to{*filter*}s. Hmmm..

<LOL> Perish the thought... ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Klaus H. Probst, MCP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog And Common Control Classes
Matt,

Like I said, VB5 specific ;-)

Quote:
> Public Type FileDialogModes
>     cdlgOpen  as Integer
>     cdlgSave as Integer
> End Type

I agree with Randy, I think this would rather problematic... starting with the
fact that I type enum arguments ByVal... so get ready to change that too.

Again, why not just change the thingies to Const's and forget about it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Klaus H. Probst, MCP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog And Common Control Classes
<g> I should have read this before... You're trying to pass a type ByVal. I
categorically deny any evil intent in typing enum arguments ByVal... standard
disclaimer ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Klaus H. Probst, MCP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog And Common Control Classes
That I always thought they were, its just that its easier to declare the
type as
well, instead of trawling through code changing the declerations of every
single
function, only to find it doesn't work for some god damned reason. Or am I
really missing the obvious?

Quote:
> Are enums not just really handy-dandy constant holders? IOW, I would
> instead:

> | ie. Public Enum FileDialogModes
> |         cdlgOpen = 1
> |         cdlgSave = 2
> |     End Enum

> Public Const cdlgOpen = 1
> Public Const cdlgSave = 2

> Hmm ... my spell checker wants to change Enums to{*filter*}s. Hmmm..
> --

> Randy Birch, MVP Visual Basic

> http://www.*-*-*.com/
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> | Thanks, Now how to change those enums. I've always changed the
> | variables within the Enum to constants then created a type containing
> | variables to hold the constant values. Is this the correct way to do it?
> |
> | ie. Public Enum FileDialogModes
> |         cdlgOpen = 1
> |         cdlgSave = 2
> |     End Enum
> |
> | would become
> |
> | Public Type FileDialogModes
> |     cdlgOpen  as Integer
> |     cdlgSave as Integer
> | End Type
> |
> | Then All I needed to remember was to add FileDialogModes.cdlgOpen=1 and
> | FileDialogModes.cdlgSave=2. If anyone has an easier way, I'm open to
> | suggestions.
> |

> | > Matt,
> | >
> | > I have some in my site, but they're all designed with/for VB5. I
suppose
> | you can
> | > modify them and remove the enums, and I don't think there are any
> optional
> | > parameters anywhere.
> | > Still working on the others though... TrackBar, StatusBar (nearly
> | completed,
> | > those), Font and Print dialog (about 75% done), some other interesting
> | stuff
> | > here and there...
> | > Might give you a head start, though.
> | >
> | > BTW, look in the Code Box section.
> | >
> | > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> | > Regards,
> | >
> | > Klaus H. Probst, MCP

> | >        ICQ: 22454937
> | >       The VB Box: http://www.*-*-*.com/
> | > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tue, 25 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog And Common Control Classes
Klaus,
  When I got my first Pentium at work about 4 ?? years ago the computer
redistribution
process was called Pentium Trickle (The senior people and others who needed
them
got pentiums and we passed down our 486's etc ( which are now very reliable
doorstops!)
to those with lesser needs.   The Mail program spellchecker wanted to change
Pentium to
{*filter*} (so alot of e-mail  was flying around about {*filter*} Trickle??  I got a
chuckle from it!!!!)
Neila
Quote:

>> Hmm ... my spell checker wants to change Enums to{*filter*}s. Hmmm..

><LOL> Perish the thought... ;-)

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Klaus H. Probst, MCP

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog And Common Control Classes

Quote:
> The Mail program spellchecker wanted to change Pentium to {*filter*}

I don't know what's worse! ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Klaus H. Probst, MCP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog And Common Control Classes
Well, good thing for alot of people that the reverse wasn't the case.
It would be very difficult to ride in a Bus!  Hey Klaus, did you receive
my email message on Sunday?  My email has been acting a little goofy.
Neila
Quote:

>> The Mail program spellchecker wanted to change Pentium to {*filter*}

>I don't know what's worse! ;-)

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Klaus H. Probst, MCP

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sun, 30 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Common Dialog And Common Control Classes
Neila,

Quote:
> Well, good thing for alot of people that the reverse wasn't the case.
> It would be very difficult to ride in a Bus!

<g>

Quote:
> Hey Klaus, did you receive
> my email message on Sunday?  My email has been acting a little goofy.

Yep, replied, too. I'll send it to you again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Klaus H. Probst, MCP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sun, 30 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. I want a Non-Common Control found in Common Dialog

2. Question about the Common Dialog print dialog control

3. Microsoft Common Dialog Control 6.0 Problem (Print Dialog)

4. Looking for Common Dialog OCX replacement class...

5. VBPJ common dialog class code

6. Common Dialog Class

7. Common Dialog class...

8. vb6 - I have no Project-Components-Control called Microsoft Common Dialog Control 6.0

9. Common Dialog Control & Data Control DatabaseName

10. Common Dialog Control

11. Help needed with Common Dialog Controls

12. Headaches with common dialog control