ComboBox
Author Message
 ComboBox

I have to add some 30,000 items to a combobox. Most of my databases have at
most of 3,000 items and that doesn't cause too much of a bottleneck. I have
a new client that has 30,000 items.

I am using a disconnected ADO recordset and it is to slow and causes RT
error 7 "Out of Memory" using this database. Is there a AddBatch method or
something like that which would allow me to load only 1000 items until the
scroll reaches the last item and then request the next batch?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

--
Bill Gauvey

Acxiom Corporation
Conway, AR

Sat, 13 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ComboBox
I don't have an answer to your questions, but I will suggest another
solution. (I don't know your experience level or what you're programming, so
please take these comments as a sincere effort to help)

My experience is that if a user has to deal with that many records in the
GUI, then I have not thought out the process well-enough. In most cases, I
find that a simple pre-filtering methods (checkboxes, option buttons, text
fields, etc.) help to narrow the range significantly.  Having to sift
through x-thousand records is VERY inconvenient to most users.  Even when I
simulate look-up capability (as in Access' ComboBox) the program still takes
a great deal of time to locate matching items.

You might want to rethink your GUI.  Best of luck solving your problem :-)

Quote:

>I have to add some 30,000 items to a combobox. Most of my databases have at
>most of 3,000 items and that doesn't cause too much of a bottleneck. I have
>a new client that has 30,000 items.

>I am using a disconnected ADO recordset and it is to slow and causes RT
>error 7 "Out of Memory" using this database. Is there a AddBatch method or
>something like that which would allow me to load only 1000 items until the
>scroll reaches the last item and then request the next batch?

>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

>--
>Bill Gauvey

>Acxiom Corporation
>Conway, AR

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ComboBox
 I've written an autocomplete combobox (based on the existing one), which is
always empty when a form is loaded. It is only when a set number of
'Trigger' Characters have been typed in that the Combo Raises an event to
ask the parent form/control/whatever for data from the database -

ie. A combo box for holding names

1. Empty on form_load - combo set for 2 trigger characters
2. User Types in 'CH' into the combo
3. Combo Raises an event to the form now that the minimum trigger chars met
4. Form gets a record set from table xxx where name = "CH%"
5. Form passes record set back to combo
6. Combo Populates itself
7. User types some more characters, eg. 'R' (combo.text = "CHR")
8. Combo has already been loaded so it searches through its own list
9. Combo highlights and displays first entry starting with 'CHR'

Of course, you'd have to think through the event structure - what happens
when combo is empty and 'Dropdown' event happens, what happens when user
clears all text from the Combo.Text field (ie. do you also delete all from
the Combo.List like I do, or just keep them there) - It needs a lot of
thought, but in the end works just fine for me.

Hope that helps

Chris Eastwood
Software Engineer
ACNielsen Ltd

Quote:

>I don't have an answer to your questions, but I will suggest another
>solution. (I don't know your experience level or what you're programming,
so
>please take these comments as a sincere effort to help)

>My experience is that if a user has to deal with that many records in the
>GUI, then I have not thought out the process well-enough. In most cases, I
>find that a simple pre-filtering methods (checkboxes, option buttons, text
>fields, etc.) help to narrow the range significantly.  Having to sift
>through x-thousand records is VERY inconvenient to most users.  Even when I
>simulate look-up capability (as in Access' ComboBox) the program still
takes
>a great deal of time to locate matching items.

>You might want to rethink your GUI.  Best of luck solving your problem :-)

>>I have to add some 30,000 items to a combobox. Most of my databases have
at
>>most of 3,000 items and that doesn't cause too much of a bottleneck. I
have
>>a new client that has 30,000 items.

>>I am using a disconnected ADO recordset and it is to slow and causes RT
>>error 7 "Out of Memory" using this database. Is there a AddBatch method or
>>something like that which would allow me to load only 1000 items until the
>>scroll reaches the last item and then request the next batch?

>>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

>>--
>>Bill Gauvey

>>Acxiom Corporation
>>Conway, AR

Mon, 15 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Filling a Secondary Combobox based on information from a primary combobox

2. ComboBox dependent on another ComboBox

3. Fonts in a Combobox matching Fontsize in another ComboBox

4. Problem with Microsoft ComboBox as well as MicroHelp ComboBox

5. Combobox and matching text contents to the combobox list

6. Clicking outside combobox trigger the combobox click event

7. I need to have VB ComboBox Behave like access ComboBox

8. How do I make a ComboBox with a drop-down wider then the ComboBox

9. How do you return the index of a combobox that corresponds to a string value that exists as an item in the combobox?

10. ComboBox and ADO - Cant Make It Work - What Is The Correct Way To Use a Combobox with ADO?

11. ComboBox and ADO - Cant Make It Work - What Is The Correct Way To Use a Combobox with ADO?

12. ComboBox wont update another Field on same Form