Difficult To Answer: How do you hide a currently running application from the 'Close Program' dialog box.
Author Message
 Difficult To Answer: How do you hide a currently running application from the 'Close Program' dialog box.

Look, I know there has been a lot of posting about this problem. But NO
MATTER WHAT, I cannot seem to hide any currently running program ( dont
care about a VB one at that ), from the 'Close Program' dialog box.

When a user presses CTL+ALT+DEL the programs are listed and any wayward
smartass can close the program this way. is there ANY WAY TO STOP THE
PROGRAM FROM BEING LISTED HERE IN THIS DIALOG. Hiding it's windows and
using SetWindowText with the hWnd and with "" will not do the job. The
programs plain module file will be shown without the extention.

Now, the following solutions DO NOT WORK so do NOT suggest them. I've
already tried them!!!

* (in vb apps) (EVEN WITHOUT FORMS!!!) setting TaskVisible=False - DOES
NOT WORK!!!
* (windows/text) hiding and clearing text - DOES NOT WORK!!!

Finally, one day I may just have to get out my assembly-language guru
guns and start using some brutal force, like hacking the living
daylights out the Windows memory and trying to remove the module files
from there. I don't WANT TO DO THAT BECAUSE IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

PLEASE HELP ME. I AM GOING CRAZY. I've tried this for ages. If nobody at
all can help me then WINDOWS 95 IS A BREACH OF GODDAM SECURITY.

Why? A question? Why?

Why can't I HIDE A GODDAM PROGRAM! AND PROPERLY!

Tue, 12 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Difficult To Answer: How do you hide a currently running application from the 'Close Program' dialog box.

Judge,

You may not be able to hide it from the task list, but if you really want
to take over the machine, you can fool windows into thinking it's running a
screen saver.  Then it won't even let you bring up the task window (or
Alt+Tab, or Alt+Esc, Ctl+Alt+Del, etc.).

If you want a kiosk-type app, that's the best way to do it.  The code is:

Private Const SPI_SCREENSAVERRUNNING = 97
Private Declare Function SystemParametersInfo Lib "user32" Alias
"SystemParametersInfoA" (ByVal uAction As Long, ByVal uParam As Long,
lpvParam As Any, ByVal fuWinIni As Long) As Long

        lResult& = SystemParametersInfo(SPI_SCREENSAVERRUNNING, True, 0, 0)

That will disable the ability to leave your app and{*filter*}with the machine.

HTH,

Ken.

Quote:
> Look, I know there has been a lot of posting about this problem. But NO
> MATTER WHAT, I cannot seem to hide any currently running program ( dont
> care about a VB one at that ), from the 'Close Program' dialog box.

> When a user presses CTL+ALT+DEL the programs are listed and any wayward
> smartass can close the program this way. is there ANY WAY TO STOP THE
> PROGRAM FROM BEING LISTED HERE IN THIS DIALOG. Hiding it's windows and
> using SetWindowText with the hWnd and with "" will not do the job. The
> programs plain module file will be shown without the extention.

> Now, the following solutions DO NOT WORK so do NOT suggest them. I've
> already tried them!!!

> * (in vb apps) (EVEN WITHOUT FORMS!!!) setting TaskVisible=False - DOES
> NOT WORK!!!
> * (windows/text) hiding and clearing text - DOES NOT WORK!!!

> Finally, one day I may just have to get out my assembly-language guru
> guns and start using some brutal force, like hacking the living
> daylights out the Windows memory and trying to remove the module files
> from there. I don't WANT TO DO THAT BECAUSE IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

> PLEASE HELP ME. I AM GOING CRAZY. I've tried this for ages. If nobody at
> all can help me then WINDOWS 95 IS A BREACH OF GODDAM SECURITY.

> Why? A question? Why?

> Why can't I HIDE A GODDAM PROGRAM! AND PROPERLY!

Tue, 12 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Way to get list of currently running applications?

2. List dlls currently running in VB Application

3. How to detect my application is currently running

4. The 2 most difficult questions you can answer....

5. Q: How to run Dos-application hidden+wait till end

6. testing if a column is currently displayed or hidden

7. *difficult* Debug.Print variable during run-time

8. ANSWER: Hide Taskbar & Disable Start

9. Answer: How to hide your app from the Task List

10. Showing/Hiding running programs in the taskbar at run-time

11. Showing/Hiding running programs in the taskbar at run-time

12. Showing/Hiding running programs in the taskbar at run-time