FileRenameOperations
Author Message
 FileRenameOperations

Hi!

Can anyone tell me where to find the RegKey of renaming of files,
when replacing files in-use.
I've read that it should be:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
\Session Manager\FileRenameOperations
(PS. NOT SessionManager, the one with a space between)

But this entry is always empty, no matter how many DLLs I know
are going to be replaced, eg. OLEAUT32.DLL.

            //ThanX Oerjan Snell, SWEDEN

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FileRenameOperations

Quote:
>Can anyone tell me where to find the RegKey of renaming of files,
>when replacing files in-use.
>I've read that it should be:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
>\Session Manager\FileRenameOperations
>(PS. NOT SessionManager, the one with a space between)

>But this entry is always empty, no matter how many DLLs I know
>are going to be replaced, eg. OLEAUT32.DLL.

Oerjan,

You're looking at the wrong place. The file names are stored in the
key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

in the REG_MULTI_SZ value PendingFileRenameOperations. I tried marking
a file for deleting with MoveFileEx, and it correectly appeared in
that value.

This is of course only true for Windows NT / 2000 systems. For Windows
9x, look in the [rename] section of WININIT.INI.

Mattias

Mattias "beezo" Sj?gren

http://home1.2.sbbs.se/mattias.sjogren/sw/

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FileRenameOperations
Do you mean a VALUE called 'PendingFileRenameOperations'
under the KEY 'Session Manager',
or a KEY called 'PendingFileRenameOperations'  under the
KEY called 'Session Manager'.

I aint got any of these, not in a nother machine either.

                        ;) OeS

Quote:

> >Can anyone tell me where to find the RegKey of renaming of files,
> >when replacing files in-use.
> >I've read that it should be:
> >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
> >\Session Manager\FileRenameOperations
> >(PS. NOT SessionManager, the one with a space between)

> >But this entry is always empty, no matter how many DLLs I know
> >are going to be replaced, eg. OLEAUT32.DLL.

> Oerjan,

> You're looking at the wrong place. The file names are stored in the
> key

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

> in the REG_MULTI_SZ value PendingFileRenameOperations. I tried marking
> a file for deleting with MoveFileEx, and it correectly appeared in
> that value.

> This is of course only true for Windows NT / 2000 systems. For Windows
> 9x, look in the [rename] section of WININIT.INI.

> Mattias

> Mattias "beezo" Sj?gren

> http://home1.2.sbbs.se/mattias.sjogren/sw/

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FileRenameOperations

Quote:
>Do you mean a VALUE called 'PendingFileRenameOperations'
>under the KEY 'Session Manager',
>or a KEY called 'PendingFileRenameOperations'  under the
>KEY called 'Session Manager'.

>I aint got any of these, not in a nother machine either.

Oerjan,

I mean the *value* called PendingFileRenameOperations in the *key*
Session Manager. Note that this value is created when you call
MoveFileEx to replace a file, and then deleted when the file is
replaced at the next reboot. That might be the reason you didn't find
it.

I also have a *key* called FileRenameOperations (note, without the
Pending) under the Session Manager key, but I don't know what the
purpose of it is.

Mattias

Mattias "beezo" Sj?gren

http://home1.2.sbbs.se/mattias.sjogren/sw/

Tue, 19 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FileRenameOperations
ThanX, I'll look for that entry next time.

BTW, The "Pending..."-stuff, I read at MicroSoft, so I wonder
if they know What they are doin.

                    //;-) OeS

Quote: