From Acc97 - Find Desktop and Start menu phisical location or ActiveX / COM control to access Windows Registry (98/ 2000)
Author Message
 From Acc97 - Find Desktop and Start menu phisical location or ActiveX / COM control to access Windows Registry (98/ 2000)

Hi,

I have an Access97 app, and I want to create in my app a shortcut
(programatically) on the desktop.
But I have several problems:

1. To create a shortcut, I can use VB5STKIT.DLL.
However, it creates the shortcut in Start menu, and VB5STKIT should be in
Windows system folder to be able to do this.
On the system I will try this (win2000), I might not have the rights to copy
vb5stkit in SYSTEM32 folder, and if I have it in the same forlder with my
MDB, I can't register the function fCreateShellLink.
So, a first question: there is any free OCX/COM DLL to create a shortcut ? I
preffer this, because I don't have to copy it to SYSTEM32 folser, I can
register it from my app folder.

2. Suppose I solve this problem, I need to know the phisical path to Desktop
folder, to create the shortcut there.
The problem is desktop folder can be changed (using programs like TweakUI -
as I also do, to have all my custom folders in a special locatiol to allow
easy backup), so I need to find this location.
I know I can find this in Registry, in the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders
Here are all user specific folders.

I try to read them from regstry wuth API call (on Win2000 too), with some
code found in MSDN (RegOpenKeyEx, ...)
RegOpenKeyEx call works for Win98, but for Win 2000 it returns me 5 instead
of 0 (success).
I discovered 5 means ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
But, at least now, when I'm testing, I'm logged as Administrator, so I
should have all available rights!

What could be wrong?

There is any free OCX / COM to allow checking registry?

Please help me!

Regards,
Bogdan

Mon, 15 Dec 2003 06:08:13 GMT

1. Adding program icons to start menu + desktop

2. Hide Desktop, Start-up menu!

3. Creating Start Menu Program Items & Desktop Shortcuts

4. Makin start menu appear after click on desktop

5. desktop and start menu

6. Adding Icons to desktop and start menu in VB5

7. Creating Start Menu Program Items & Desktop Shortcuts

8. SHChangeNotify Help (refresh desktop/start menu)

9. Adding item to Find on start menu

10. How to add a menu item to Start->Find

11. ACC97: Getting Started Building Wizards

12. Acc97 Execute Menu Add-In via Code ?