API to open/close com port?
Author Message
 API to open/close com port?

I'm using VB5CCE for a simple robotics project and I'd like to be able to
open/close the com port.  Apparently, MSCOMM32.OCX isn't licensable for the
version of VB that I'm using, and the only other alternatives cost hundreds
of dollars.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

-- John
    www.home-robot.com

Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:24:30 GMT
 API to open/close com port?

Quote:
> I'm using VB5CCE for a simple robotics project and I'd like to be
able to
> open/close the com port.  Apparently, MSCOMM32.OCX isn't licensable
for the
> version of VB that I'm using, and the only other alternatives cost
hundreds
> of dollars.

You open a port with CreateFile() and close it with CloseHandle(), but
you need other API calls for setting up the properties and managing the
buffers and timeouts etc. There is plenty about it on MSDN. There is a
control called IO from JS Payne which last time I looked was tens of
dollars, not hundreds.
--
Roger Abbott, RHA (Minisystems) Ltd - http://www.rhaminisys.com
DDE Client and Server ActiveX controls for Visual Basic

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:05:44 GMT

1. Close a COM port not opened in VB

2. OS port close inaddition to Winsock port close

3. Finding COM Ports - Mouse dies when VB talks to its COM Port

4. Get Open Local Ports (what ports are open)

5. Get Open Local Ports (what ports are open)

6. How to close an open port?

7. How to close an orphaned Open Serial Port

8. WINSOCK - how to check whether the remote port is OPEN /CLOSEd

9. Comm Port Open/Close question

10. How do I open a COM port

11. OPEN a COM port

12. How to open a com port in qbasic