Browse for folder : specify root folder ?
Author Message
 Browse for folder : specify root folder ?

I try to browse for a folder using the SHBrowseForFolder shell function

This function expects a pointer to a BROWSEINFO structure.

The second member of this structure (LPCITEMIDLIST pidlRoot) can
be used to specify a root folder from which browse, but how ????

The only thing I know is the NAME of a folder ("C:\MyRootFolder"), how can I
get
the associated ITEMIDLIST ?

Thanks in advance

T. Petillon

Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Browse for folder : specify root folder ?
Take a look at the ccrp FolderTreeview control.  It can do everything
the BrowseForFolder API can do, plus a lot more.  Not only that, but its
free. You can get it at www.mvps.org/ccrp

Good Luck,
Russell Davis

Quote:

>I try to browse for a folder using the SHBrowseForFolder shell function

>This function expects a pointer to a BROWSEINFO structure.

>The second member of this structure (LPCITEMIDLIST pidlRoot) can
>be used to specify a root folder from which browse, but how ????

>The only thing I know is the NAME of a folder ("C:\MyRootFolder"), how
can I
>get
>the associated ITEMIDLIST ?

>Thanks in advance

>T. Petillon

Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Browse for folder : specify root folder ?
The structure ITEMIDLIST is defined as "SHITEMID mkid". The structure SHITEMID
is defined as
    unsigned short            // length of structure in bytes including this
field
    long                            // pointer to the name of the root dir

Thomas Petillon schrieb:

Quote:
> I try to browse for a folder using the SHBrowseForFolder shell function

> This function expects a pointer to a BROWSEINFO structure.

> The second member of this structure (LPCITEMIDLIST pidlRoot) can
> be used to specify a root folder from which browse, but how ????

> The only thing I know is the NAME of a folder ("C:\MyRootFolder"), how can I
> get
> the associated ITEMIDLIST ?

> Thanks in advance

> T. Petillon

Tue, 16 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Browse for folder : specify root folder ?

Thomas

Quote:
> I try to browse for a folder using the SHBrowseForFolder shell function

> This function expects a pointer to a BROWSEINFO structure.

> The second member of this structure (LPCITEMIDLIST pidlRoot) can
> be used to specify a root folder from which browse, but how ????

> The only thing I know is the NAME of a folder ("C:\MyRootFolder"), how can I
> get
> the associated ITEMIDLIST ?

On my site in the first sig below is a demo BrowseDlg that covers
most of this.

For an extended discussion on having a specific folder pre-selected
when the dialog first appears, have a look at the "The Browse For
Folders API FAQ Index" off of the "Control FAQ" navbar link on the
main page of the second URL below...

--
Brad Martinez
http://members.aol.com/btmtz/vb

Please direct questions/replies to the newsgroup.

Tue, 16 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Specify an initial folder for the Browse for folder dialog

2. Build XML of folders, sub folders and files from specified folder

3. Browse for Folder Assign Root Directory (C:\xxx\)

4. Start DIRECTORY (FOLDER) for the Browse Folder function

5. folder browsing - create folder problem

6. instead of using browse for folder, how can u put those virtual folder into a co

7. folder in a folder in a folder...

8. Determining if a folder is a local pst folder or a imap (server folder)

9. How to delete folders/files within a folder but not the folder itself

10. how to specify a start directory folder when browsing for a folder with SHBrowseForFolder () ?

11. How to create ROOT folder

12. Parent of root of folder (top level) ?