How to call Open File and Save As dialog box API from VB
Author Message
 How to call Open File and Save As dialog box API from VB

Win98, Visual Basic (Access 2000 version)

Hi there,

I'm new to the VB programming and a bit out of touch. I used to program
QBasic years ago, so i get the gist of all this but might need a few modern
basics to get me by - sorry.

i've got a bit stuck with Open File and Save As dialog boxes.

I need to use the Windows Open File dialog box function so the user of
my software can choose the file they want to open and for VB to store
that file name (and path) in a variable so i can use it later in the
program. same for the Save As dialog box.

I don't have a list of API's and their descriptions so i haven't been able
to try anything yet.

thanks in advance

Jonno

Tue, 24 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to call Open File and Save As dialog box API from VB

Quote:

>Win98, Visual Basic (Access 2000 version)

>Hi there,

>I'm new to the VB programming and a bit out of touch. I used to program
>QBasic years ago, so i get the gist of all this but might need a few modern
>basics to get me by - sorry.

>i've got a bit stuck with Open File and Save As dialog boxes.

>I need to use the Windows Open File dialog box function so the user of
>my software can choose the file they want to open and for VB to store
>that file name (and path) in a variable so i can use it later in the
>program. same for the Save As dialog box.

>I don't have a list of API's and their descriptions so i haven't been able
>to try anything yet.

>thanks in advance

>Jonno

>--

http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/code/_acc/frcomctrl.htm

Look for "File Open Dialog" and "File Save Dialog" on that page...

Regards,

Gregory Silvano
http://www.codehound.com
Free Internet Search Engine for VB Developers

Tue, 24 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to call Open File and Save As dialog box API from VB

Quote:

> >Win98, Visual Basic (Access 2000 version)

> >Hi there,

> >I'm new to the VB programming and a bit out of touch. I used to
program
> >QBasic years ago, so i get the gist of all this but might need a few
modern
> >basics to get me by - sorry.

> >i've got a bit stuck with Open File and Save As dialog boxes.

> >I need to use the Windows Open File dialog box function so the user
of
> >my software can choose the file they want to open and for VB to store
> >that file name (and path) in a variable so i can use it later in the
> >program. same for the Save As dialog box.

> >I don't have a list of API's and their descriptions so i haven't
been able
> >to try anything yet.

> >thanks in advance

> >Jonno

> >--

> http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/code/_acc/frcomctrl.htm

> Look for "File Open Dialog" and "File Save Dialog" on that page...

> Regards,

> Gregory Silvano
> http://www.codehound.com
> Free Internet Search Engine for VB Developers

You have two ways to do this: the simple way (using the common control
dialog) or the hard way (using API), but which offers you more control
over it's behaviour. For using the control, lookup ShowOpen and
ShowSave .

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 30 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Open/Save Dialog Box with API

2. Calling up a dialog box to Open a file

3. opening / saving files with MS rich text box control (viewing open files)

4. How to call the Outlook Save Attachments dialog box

5. the common dialog box (open/save mode)

6. Save & open dialog boxes

7. Dialog Boxes - Using Save As, Open, Print, etc.

8. Calling the Save As dialog box from script.

9. How to call the Outlook Save Attachments dialog box

10. Open With dialog API call

11. Open file dialog box and upload file

12. How to call the Explorer Open With dialog box