Wait (hourglass) cursor
Author Message
 Wait (hourglass) cursor

I'm running a VB6 application under NT4.

I have problem with cursors. I have timer that triggers a process that cause
a wait cursor (hourglass) to show for a brief period. The timer interval is
set to 1 second, so every second i have a blinking hourglass cursor. How to
get rid of it?

I was trying to set cursor with api SetCursor and SetSystemCursor, but
system still overwrites it with hourglass when it in wait state. I also
tried to set thread priority higher using SetThreadPriority. None of this
helps.

So far i found only one solution - better processor. Can i do anything else?

Nadia.

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 06:34:28 GMT
 Wait (hourglass) cursor

Quote:
> I'm running a VB6 application under NT4.

> I have problem with cursors. I have timer that triggers a process that
cause
> a wait cursor (hourglass) to show for a brief period. The timer interval
is
> set to 1 second, so every second i have a blinking hourglass cursor. How
> get rid of it?

> I was trying to set cursor with api SetCursor and SetSystemCursor, but
> system still overwrites it with hourglass when it in wait state. I also
> tried to set thread priority higher using SetThreadPriority. None of this
> helps.

> So far i found only one solution - better processor. Can i do anything
else?

> Nadia.

No need for a timer, use a Class!

I have a little Class in my arsenal of stuff with nothing going on except
the Initialize / Terminate events. The class just saves the current cursor &
load a wait cursor (vbHourglass) in the Initiate event, and loads the
original cursor in the Terminate event. If I load that class, and set the
form.enabled-property = False, it sometimes makes wonders...

Per Rollvang

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:24:51 GMT
 Wait (hourglass) cursor
Nadia

I would think that instead of raising your own thread priority, you would
want to lower the priority of whatever this process is thats eating your
cursor. It sounds like a process that you dont have any access to the code
of, else you would just add DoEvents into the process. Perhaps what you need
to do is create a separate thread in order to launch this process, which I
think will return some system resources to your original application. I
havent tested any of this theory, but thats the way I would go about trying
to solve it.

> I'm running a VB6 application under NT4.

> I have problem with cursors. I have timer that triggers a process that
cause
> a wait cursor (hourglass) to show for a brief period. The timer interval
is
> set to 1 second, so every second i have a blinking hourglass cursor. How
> get rid of it?

> I was trying to set cursor with api SetCursor and SetSystemCursor, but
> system still overwrites it with hourglass when it in wait state. I also
> tried to set thread priority higher using SetThreadPriority. None of this
> helps.

> So far i found only one solution - better processor. Can i do anything
else?

> Nadia.

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:47:30 GMT

1. Wait Cursor (Hourglass)

2. Cursor doesn't change to Hourglass

3. Hourglass cursor in standard outlook folder view (inbox) ?

4. Hourglass cursor in standard folder view (Inbox) ?

5. Change the cursor icon to hourglass?

6. Hourglass cursor in standard folder view (inbox) ?

7. How to set Hourglass cursor?

8. Hourglass Cursor

9. Hourglass mouse cursor

10. How to force VB to make cursor=hourglass during startup

11. change cursor to hourglass?

12. Hourglass Cursor w/VB4