Register a file type
Author Message
 Register a file type

Hi, I am using the Setup1 project to set up my program, and I would like to
register the file type (.xem) which my program uses. I don't want it to open
the program when an associated file is double-clicked, but I would like an
icon displayed.
How can I do this?
Thanks

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Register a file type
Modify the registry programmatically creating the following keys and
associated values...

create key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xem
and modify the existing string value called (Default) with value =
YourProgram.FileType

create key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\YourProgram.FileType\DefaultIcon
and modify the existing string value called (Default) with value = "location
of program\MyProgram.exe,1"
where 1 indicates the second icon stored within the EXE file.

The first icon, or icon 0, is automatically associated with your exe file.
Adding these registry entries will associate the file type .xem with the
second icon stored within your exe file.

Quote:

>Hi, I am using the Setup1 project to set up my program, and I would like to
>register the file type (.xem) which my program uses. I don't want it to
open
>the program when an associated file is double-clicked, but I would like an
>icon displayed.
>How can I do this?
>Thanks

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Register a file type
Hi.

I registered a file type for my own log files (with TSV extension). I've
searched my registry and found these 4 entries:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.TSV, (Default) -> "TSV_auto_file"
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TSV_auto_file, (Default) -> "Archivo de texto
delimitado por tabuladores"
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.TSV, (Default) -> "TSV_auto_file"
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TSV_auto_file, (Default) -> "Archivo de texto
delimitado por tabuladores"

The values "Archivo de texto delimitado por tabuladores" is my file type
description. I've also found a "shell" folder in the TSV_auto_file sections
but I guess they are registering the app. I use to open these files.

Good luck,

    Adrian

P.S.:It would be great if you show your final solution in the newsgroup. I
think is a good practice to register all file types created by our
applications.

Quote:
> Hi, I am using the Setup1 project to set up my program, and I would like
> register the file type (.xem) which my program uses. I don't want it to
open
> the program when an associated file is double-clicked, but I would like an
> icon displayed.
> How can I do this?
> Thanks

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Register a file type
On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 22:00:32 +1200, "St Augustine's College"

Hi, I am using the Setup1 project to set up my program, and I would like to
register the file type (.xem) which my program uses. I don't want it to open
the program when an associated file is double-clicked, but I would like an
icon displayed.

You can find code for this at
http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/code/reg/association.htm.

Paul
~~~~

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. register a file type

2. Howto register a File Type to get opened with my VB5 App in Explorer

3. Registering a file type for an App

4. Does anyone know how to register a file type in vb 4.0

5. register own file-types

6. Registering Private File Types

7. HELP - Registering new File-Types

8. How do I register a file type...

9. Registering a file type

10. How to register new file type and react on file double-click?

11. How do I register a file type for my app?

12. Type Library won't register when the .exe using it is registered