Windows Serial Number (HOWTO)
Author Message
 Windows Serial Number (HOWTO)

Hi ALL !

I hope someone can help me with this question:
What are the keys/values that identify Windows' Serial Number in the
registry?

Thanks in advance,

Nelson Ferraz

Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Serial Number (HOWTO)
Check out...
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
Quote:

>Hi ALL !

>I hope someone can help me with this question:
>What are the keys/values that identify Windows' Serial Number in the
>registry?

>Thanks in advance,

>Nelson Ferraz

Sat, 13 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Serial Number (HOWTO)
Functions GetVersion or GetVersionEx Lib Kernel32 are better (I think...)

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Serial Number (HOWTO)
That depends whether you want the Windows version or the serial number of
the installed copy of Windows. Under the key I listed, contains all sorts of
information. Use RegEdit and check it out if you want to see what info you
can obtain.
Quote:

>Functions GetVersion or GetVersionEx Lib Kernel32 are better (I think...)

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Serial Number (HOWTO)
That depends whether you want the Windows version or the serial number of
the installed copy of Windows. Under the key I listed, contains all sorts of
information. Use RegEdit and check it out if you want to see what info you
can obtain.
Quote:

>Functions GetVersion or GetVersionEx Lib Kernel32 are better (I think...)

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Serial Number (HOWTO)
How can I obtain Windows Serial Number in VB ?

Thanks again

Nelson

Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Serial Number (HOWTO)

Quote:
>How can I obtain Windows Serial Number in VB ?

>Thanks again

>Nelson

I know that you must look for this information in the registry, but HOW? -
that is the question.

In an ideal world, it should be simple as: "open the key, read its value,
close the key" But in the real world, it requires the use API calls, what is
not a simple task.

Someone knows how to do that?

Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows Serial Number (HOWTO)

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Windows Serial Number (HOWTO)

Quote:

>How can I obtain Windows Serial Number in VB ?

>Thanks again

>Nelson

Thanks all for your help!!! Finally I've found the answer, and here it is:
the following line can be used to get Windows Serial Number:

QueryValue "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion", "ProductId"

Just paste the following code into a module:

'--- START ---

'**********************************
'**  Constant Declarations:

   Public Const REG_SZ As Long = 1
   Public Const REG_DWORD As Long = 4

   Public Const HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT = &H80000000
   Public Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001
   Public Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002
   Public Const HKEY_USERS = &H80000003

   Public Const ERROR_NONE = 0
   Public Const ERROR_BADDB = 1
   Public Const ERROR_BADKEY = 2
   Public Const ERROR_CANTOPEN = 3
   Public Const ERROR_CANTREAD = 4
   Public Const ERROR_CANTWRITE = 5
   Public Const ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY = 6
   Public Const ERROR_ARENA_TRASHED = 7
   Public Const ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED = 8
   Public Const ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETERS = 87
   Public Const ERROR_NO_MORE_ITEMS = 259

   Public Const KEY_ALL_ACCESS = &H3F

   Public Const REG_OPTION_NON_VOLATILE = 0

'**********************************
'**  Function Declarations:

   Declare Function RegCloseKey Lib "advapi32.dll" _
   (ByVal hKey As Long) As Long
   Declare Function RegCreateKeyEx Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias _
   "RegCreateKeyExA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpSubKey As String, _
   ByVal Reserved As Long, ByVal lpClass As String, ByVal dwOptions _
   As Long, ByVal samDesired As Long, ByVal lpSecurityAttributes _
   As Long, phkResult As Long, lpdwDisposition As Long) As Long
   Declare Function RegOpenKeyEx Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias _
   "RegOpenKeyExA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpSubKey As String, _
   ByVal ulOptions As Long, ByVal samDesired As Long, phkResult As _
   Long) As Long
   Declare Function RegQueryValueExString Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias _
   "RegQueryValueExA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpValueName As _
   String, ByVal lpReserved As Long, lpType As Long, ByVal lpData _
   As String, lpcbData As Long) As Long
   Declare Function RegQueryValueExLong Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias _
   "RegQueryValueExA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpValueName As _
   String, ByVal lpReserved As Long, lpType As Long, lpData As _
   Long, lpcbData As Long) As Long
   Declare Function RegQueryValueExNULL Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias _
   "RegQueryValueExA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpValueName As _
   String, ByVal lpReserved As Long, lpType As Long, ByVal lpData _
   As Long, lpcbData As Long) As Long
   Declare Function RegSetValueExString Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias _
   "RegSetValueExA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpValueName As String, _
   ByVal Reserved As Long, ByVal dwType As Long, ByVal lpValue As _
   String, ByVal cbData As Long) As Long
   Declare Function RegSetValueExLong Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias _
   "RegSetValueExA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpValueName As String, _
   ByVal Reserved As Long, ByVal dwType As Long, lpValue As Long, _
   ByVal cbData As Long) As Long

Public Function SetValueEx(ByVal hKey As Long, sValueName As String, _
   lType As Long, vValue As Variant) As Long
       Dim lValue As Long
       Dim sValue As String
       Select Case lType
           Case REG_SZ
               sValue = vValue & Chr$(0)
               SetValueEx = RegSetValueExString(hKey, sValueName, 0&, _
                                              lType, sValue, Len(sValue))
           Case REG_DWORD
               lValue = vValue
               SetValueEx = RegSetValueExLong(hKey, sValueName, 0&, _
   lType, lValue, 4)
           End Select
   End Function

   Function QueryValueEx(ByVal lhKey As Long, ByVal szValueName As _
   String, vValue As Variant) As Long
       Dim cch As Long
       Dim lrc As Long
       Dim lType As Long
       Dim lValue As Long
       Dim sValue As String

       On Error GoTo QueryValueExError

       ' Determine the size and type of data to be read
       lrc = RegQueryValueExNULL(lhKey, szValueName, 0&, lType, 0&, cch)
       If lrc <> ERROR_NONE Then Error 5

       Select Case lType
           ' For strings
           Case REG_SZ:
               sValue = String(cch, 0)
   lrc = RegQueryValueExString(lhKey, szValueName, 0&, lType, _
   sValue, cch)
               If lrc = ERROR_NONE Then
                   vValue = Left$(sValue, cch - 1)
               Else
                   vValue = Empty
               End If
           ' For DWORDS
           Case REG_DWORD:
   lrc = RegQueryValueExLong(lhKey, szValueName, 0&, lType, _
   lValue, cch)
               If lrc = ERROR_NONE Then vValue = lValue
           Case Else
               'all other data types not supported
               lrc = -1
       End Select

QueryValueExExit:
       QueryValueEx = lrc
       Exit Function
QueryValueExError:
       Resume QueryValueExExit
   End Function

   Public Sub QueryValue(sKeyName As String, sValueName As String)
       Dim lRetVal As Long         'result of the API functions
       Dim hKey As Long         'handle of opened key
       Dim vValue As Variant      'setting of queried value

       lRetVal = RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, sKeyName, 0, _
   KEY_ALL_ACCESS, hKey)
       lRetVal = QueryValueEx(hKey, sValueName, vValue)
       MsgBox vValue
       RegCloseKey (hKey)
   End Sub

'--- END ---

Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Network card serial number or Bios Serial Number

2. .Net Windows App Deployment - serial number validation

3. WISE WINDOWS INSTALLER 3.5 SERIAL NUMBER

4. How to get the Windows serial number

5. How to get windows serial number?

6. Getting the Windows 95 Serial Number - CD-KEY

7. Getting the Windows 95 Serial Number - CD-KEY

8. Windows Serial Number?

9. Getting CPU ID or Windows Serial Number

10. is it possible to get windows serial number?

11. Get Windows serial number

12. Reading Windows Serial Number