Using the api to show the copy file window, I guess its an avi
Author Message
 Using the api to show the copy file window, I guess its an avi

hi at present I doing coping files for backup if they have been
modified since the last time they were backed, As you know that means
checking each file. Is it possible to show the api file copy window
and insert the file that is be copied at the time , then the next file
without closing the copy file window displayed  and when done then
close it........ If so does anyone have sample code to open the copy
file  and no files being copied as an example

John

PS at moment I am using the MediaPlayer control works ok but that
means I would have to include it in my install. whereas I know windows
has it built in already ..... and if I could findout how to call it
from the api then there would be no need to include  more stuff in my
install

Tue, 03 Jun 2003 15:24:47 GMT
 Using the api to show the copy file window, I guess its an avi

Quote:

> hi at present I doing coping files for backup if they have been
> modified since the last time they were backed, As you know that means
> checking each file. Is it possible to show the api file copy window
> and insert the file that is be copied at the time , then the next file
> without closing the copy file window displayed  and when done then
> close it........ If so does anyone have sample code to open the copy
> file  and no files being copied as an example

> John

> PS at moment I am using the MediaPlayer control works ok but that
> means I would have to include it in my install. whereas I know windows
> has it built in already ..... and if I could findout how to call it
> from the api then there would be no need to include  more stuff in my
> install

If you mean what I think you do by the "file copy window", then the API
you are looking for is SHFileOperation.
--
Roger Abbott, RHA (Minisystems) Ltd - http://www.rhaminisys.com
DDE Client and Server ActiveX controls for Visual Basic

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Tue, 03 Jun 2003 16:40:57 GMT
 Using the api to show the copy file window, I guess its an avi
To use the standard Windows file copy functionality from VB, see the
SHFileOperation samples at http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/

To just show an avi, check out the AVI section at the same site.

--

Randy Birch
MVP Visual Basic

Take the vb.net poll at:
http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/
http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/

: hi at present I doing coping files for backup if they have been
: modified since the last time they were backed, As you know that means
: checking each file. Is it possible to show the api file copy window
: and insert the file that is be copied at the time , then the next file
: without closing the copy file window displayed  and when done then
: close it........ If so does anyone have sample code to open the copy
: file  and no files being copied as an example
:
: John
:
: PS at moment I am using the MediaPlayer control works ok but that
: means I would have to include it in my install. whereas I know windows
: has it built in already ..... and if I could findout how to call it
: from the api then there would be no need to include  more stuff in my
: install

Wed, 04 Jun 2003 07:30:25 GMT
 Using the api to show the copy file window, I guess its an avi
Hi i've use the SHFileOperation after comparing each file if file
eligable for copy then use the SHFileOperation, it then opens the
window shows the graphic then closes again, then on to next compare
and so on and so on...   what I've done to this point created an avi
clip open once do all my compare of files if eligable move the name to
a caption and close it when I'm all done...    using the
SHFileOperation and openning and closing of the graphic really slows
done overall performace... Instead of doing it the way I'm doing it
what i'm getting at can you open that graphic once though api call
move names in of verious files yourself and it stay open till your all
done then close it through the api

Jphn

Quote:

>> hi at present I doing coping files for backup if they have been
>> modified since the last time they were backed, As you know that means
>> checking each file. Is it possible to show the api file copy window
>> and insert the file that is be copied at the time , then the next file
>> without closing the copy file window displayed  and when done then
>> close it........ If so does anyone have sample code to open the copy
>> file  and no files being copied as an example

>> John

>> PS at moment I am using the MediaPlayer control works ok but that
>> means I would have to include it in my install. whereas I know windows
>> has it built in already ..... and if I could findout how to call it
>> from the api then there would be no need to include  more stuff in my
>> install

>If you mean what I think you do by the "file copy window", then the API
>you are looking for is SHFileOperation.

Wed, 04 Jun 2003 14:16:51 GMT
 Using the api to show the copy file window, I guess its an avi
You do know that you can pass multiple filenames to a single call?

--

Randy Birch
MVP Visual Basic

Take the vb.net poll at:
http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/
http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/

[...]

: >>
: >> John
: >>
: >> PS at moment I am using the MediaPlayer control works ok but that
: >> means I would have to include it in my install. whereas I know windows
: >> has it built in already ..... and if I could findout how to call it
: >> from the api then there would be no need to include  more stuff in my
: >> install
: >
: >If you mean what I think you do by the "file copy window", then the API
: >you are looking for is SHFileOperation.
:

Thu, 05 Jun 2003 00:45:08 GMT
 Using the api to show the copy file window, I guess its an avi
yes I do,   but # of files could get cumbersome..... This could be one
file or the whold system of files, would be nce if able to referance
api just to open the gui and send the name of the files for the copy
as I need

John

Quote:
>You do know that you can pass multiple filenames to a single call?

Thu, 05 Jun 2003 12:25:10 GMT
 Using the api to show the copy file window, I guess its an avi
Then I don't understand.

If you have, say, one or 100 files to copy, why not write methods to copy
either a single file or all files, your choice, and an additional set of
methods to start and stop an avi?

If HaveFilesToProcess then
    Call StartAVI
       For x=1 to y
          Call CopyDemFiles
        Next
    Call Stop AVI
End if

Sounds to me like you have it coded like:

[...]

Thu, 05 Jun 2003 12:46:57 GMT
 Using the api to show the copy file window, I guess its an avi
Hi Randy
That is what I'm doing now I show an avi.... I was just wondering if
it was possible to use MS api to do that open and leave open tilll I
was done...write now I'm using MS MediaPlayer to do that I know must
people install it but some people do not and I then would have to
include it in the install

John

Quote:
>Then I don't understand.

>If you have, say, one or 100 files to copy, why not write methods to copy
>either a single file or all files, your choice, and an additional set of
>methods to start and stop an avi?

>If HaveFilesToProcess then
>    Call StartAVI
>       For x=1 to y
>          Call CopyDemFiles
>        Next
>    Call Stop AVI
>End if

>Sounds to me like you have it coded like:

>If HaveFilesToProcess then

>    For x=1 to y
>       Call StartAVI
>          Call CopyDemFiles
>       Call Stop AVI
>     Next
>End if

Fri, 06 Jun 2003 00:36:56 GMT
 Using the api to show the copy file window, I guess its an avi
You do not need media player. VB ships with an animation control as part of
the common controls 2 library. Alternatively, see the animation section at
my site for API-based solutions.

--

Randy Birch
MVP Visual Basic

Take the vb.net poll at:
http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/
http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/

[...]

Fri, 06 Jun 2003 01:35:42 GMT
 Using the api to show the copy file window, I guess its an avi
very nice one i found on your site  uses the Avi32.RES
is that part of the common controls (AnimateDemo)

John

Quote:
>You do not need media player. VB ships with an animation control as part of
>the common controls 2 library. Alternatively, see the animation section at
>my site for API-based solutions.

Sun, 08 Jun 2003 17:40:46 GMT

1. Using an AVI file in a project (AVI API Call)

2. AVI playing files, using API, (not *.OCX)

3. Problem copying large files using SHFileOperation API call

4. Copying Macintosh files using API

5. Which control can show a simple AVI file?

6. Copy file with Filecopy.avi

7. Copying AVI frame to a file

8. Using Windows API to change extension of file.

9. HELP: Recording sound file using windows API

10. Printing .tif files on Win NT using Windows API

11. Accessing file properties using Windows API

12. Avi plaing using API