Global HANDLES?
Author Message
 Global HANDLES?

I'm having trouble calling a DLL under Win 95 that was a breeze under Win
3.1. The problem (I think) is that GlobalHandleToSel, MemoryRead and
MemoryWrite have all disappeared, leaving me no way I can think of to get
global handles to strings and integers, then reading and writing to and
from memory.

Please help if you can.

Mark Raishbrook
-----

Sun, 30 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Global HANDLES?

One of the fundamental ideas under win32 is that nothing is "global"
Each process has it's own memory space (up to 4 gigs I think), and a
handle to anything is just an address inside that space.  Therefore
any handle to anything in one memory space is null and void in any
other.  IE:  you can't share handles between applications.  This is so
each application is isolated, so that if your program crashes, it
dosen't lock mine up too.  If you need to share info between apps,
look into pipes, memory mapped files, the registry, etc.

Good Luck!

On 12 Nov 1997 13:56:07 GMT, "Mark Raishbrook"

Quote:
>I'm having trouble calling a DLL under Win 95 that was a breeze under Win
>3.1. The problem (I think) is that GlobalHandleToSel, MemoryRead and
>MemoryWrite have all disappeared, leaving me no way I can think of to get
>global handles to strings and integers, then reading and writing to and
>from memory.

>Please help if you can.

>Mark Raishbrook
>-----

Sun, 07 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Global memory handle

2. Global Exception Handling

3. How are global variables handled in vb

4. Global error handle: how?

5. Global Error handling

6. How to do global file handles in VB

7. how to do global error handling in VB4?

8. Command line parameters and global error handling

9. How to handle global vars in VB ?

10. Global Error Handling

11. How to handle VB global vars?

12. Global Error Handling strategy