Reading the hard drive volume
Author Message
 Reading the hard drive volume

Hello

each hard drive has a unique number, which does not change. This number
could be read under DOS. Is there an API-Call that would give me that
number.

thanks

Bernd

Sat, 26 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive volume
You mean the number that shows up as:

Volume Serial Number is 3028-16EE

This number _does_ change on reformatting the disk. But there is code to
retrieve it at http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/ ... search for
GetVolumeInformation.

--
Randy Birch, MVP Visual Basic

http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/
http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/

Please correspond only using the newsgroups so all can benefit.

| Hello
|
| each hard drive has a unique number, which does not change. This number
| could be read under DOS. Is there an API-Call that would give me that
| number.
|
| thanks
|
| Bernd

Sat, 26 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive volume

Quote:
> Hello

> each hard drive has a unique number, which does not change. This number
> could be read under DOS. Is there an API-Call that would give me that
> number.

> thanks

> Bernd

Use the Drive object's SerialNumber property.

Peter G. Aitken

Sun, 27 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to read the hard drives drive no.

2. Hard Drive Volume Serial Number

3. Obtaining hard drive's volume serial # in VB

4. Reading Hard-Disk Volume Serial No, CPU Serial No in VB

5. Reading the Hard Drives Serial Number

6. Help needed reading database on CD and writing to database on hard drive

7. Reading the hard drive's serial number

8. how to read, write and create files on a hard drive

9. Read Hard Drive Boot Record From VB

10. Read Hard Drive Boot Record From VB

11. Insert records from a database in floppy drive to hard drive

12. Hard Drive Serial Number/Total Drive Size